Employment & Professional Networking Future Employment Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffee8

Reaction score
Hi!

Does a OT school's ranking play a role in getting a job in the future??
Does going to school on the West coast make it hard to obtain a job on the East coast and vice versa??

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all- especially if one compares OT to law or medicine. Schools within the region may have rapport and knowledge of graduate coming out so that can play a factor. Overall, ranking does not play a role- it is heavily on your history, communicating your contribution, and references that can back it up.

Thank you so much for your response! This really helped ease my nerves because I am currently trying to decide between two schools. One is a top 10 ranked school and the other is a lower ranked school but on the opposite coast. So I wanted to gain life experiences living on the other coast while obtaining my degree!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your response! This really helped ease my nerves because I am currently trying to decide between two schools. One is a top 10 ranked school and the other is a lower ranked school but on the opposite coast. So I wanted to gain life experiences living on the other coast while obtaining my degree!

Gaining life experience on the other coast is a wonderful intention! I went to California to Virginia, not for that reason originally but it worked in my favor. Opportunities take many forms. You can 1) inquire out of state fieldwork so you can be back "home" for clinical work 2) establish more experience and just come home after graduation or 3) you may end up loving it and stay out there past graduation. Congratulation and I am always excited for an individual embarking on their OT journey.

Reactions: 1 user
I too am moving across the country to attend my program and I am excited for growth and the opportunity to live and learn in a different culture!

If you’re deciding between two schools, always pick the cheaper one. As a new grad, I’m struggling to justify the amount I took out for OT school as things were looking bleak for OT before covid.

Also, you can always explore and gain life experiences in a new area after you graduate.