Future for dentistry not looking good.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
busupshot83,
i got your pm, a lot of good facts of why the future for dentistry is looking bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by toothache
busupshot83,
i got your pm, a lot of good facts of why the future for dentistry is looking bad.

If you think the future of dentistry is looking so bad, then DON'T DO IT!

Go into computer science (heh) or manufacturing or boiler repair or whatever it is that will make you happy. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to force you to become a dentist!

I think the most fantastic job is when you win a national lottery. ;) Get ready to retired.....oh, boy, I'm such a lazy bum...can't think of anything productive.........

Being a superstar is also very good....imagine all the shopping you can do afterwards!

Other than that, dentistry is the best. At least we don't have to look at someone's anus, armpits, or any private areas like physicians do. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
comatose said:
I honestly don't think the majority of hygienists have the brain power or the will power to go out on their own.

Interesting opinion as I happen to believe the opposite is true.

Isn't the ability to complete a rigorous 2-3 year course of study and pass 3 licensing examinations a good predictor that the majority of hygienists DO have the brainpower AND willpower to go out on their own? :confused:

the big wand said:
I think the most fantastic job is when you win a national lottery. ;) Get ready to retired.....oh, boy, I'm such a lazy bum...can't think of anything productive.........

Being a superstar is also very good....imagine all the shopping you can do afterwards!

And then we'll all stuff our money into tax shelters, buy a home on Miami Beach and in California, become liberal and then moan about social inequities!

Haha, that came out of nowhere.

-Mike

JMJDH1, why would you resurrect a thread that has been dead for 4 months? Especially as your first post. Especially since its an inflammatory thread that is better off left dead.

Midoc said:
JMJDH1, why would you resurrect a thread that has been dead for 4 months? Especially as your first post. Especially since its an inflammatory thread that is better off left dead.
Agreed. Way to kick things off, champ.

I think it's JMJRDH1, not JMJDH1, so that gives us a better idea of where the motivation came from to resurrect this stinky thread. ;)

OK, now: die, thread, die!

As of now, there is not certain future for the development of the vaccine for caries because there is just too much confounding factor for the development of caries. Unless there is someone out there who can miraculously consider every aspect of caries formation hence creating something that can overcome it.....then I would say that the future of Dentistry is looking bad.
Probably we could then upgrade to something else, like OMS? Prosthodontics :smuggrin: (not for me though...)
Just an interesting thought though...

Last time I heard, I thought there already was a vaccine for caries.

Its called toothbrush, toothpaste with fluoride and floss....its been working exceptionally so far in human trials. The FDA is set to approve its usage, but the FAA is skeptical because the gum stimulator on the end of the toothbrush may be used as a weapon.

booshwa said:
Last time I heard, I thought there already was a vaccine for caries.

Its called toothbrush, toothpaste with fluoride and floss....its been working exceptionally so far in human trials. The FDA is set to approve its usage, but the FAA is skeptical because the gum stimulator on the end of the toothbrush may be used as a weapon.

:D :D damn, finally a good post in this stinking thread :laugh:

There is a grain of truth in every lie. Pretty much everyone who has posted here is at least partially correct. I've read on Canadian HR sites that dental hygenists will be taking over more of the mundane tasks. However, it is also true that dentists will focus more on costmetics and restoration. Dentistry will not die, it will merely change in its context. It may even get better. We will adapt just like everyone else has.

As for the tooth caries etiology, I'd liken that to finding a single 'cure' for schizophrenia.

Zurich5 said:
Watch out fellas, here come the hygienists...
I fully intend on having a staff full of ?perky? twenty-something hygienists and only doing cosmetic work on metrosexual males in a large market. My staff's inability to clean teeth will be a minor problem if everything goes well.

Best post ever, just thought I'd bump it up...

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
Bad form to pimp your own post, Ryan, even if you've changed your name since then. :D

Hah, bored at work today. How's 2nd year going for you Bill? Have you met any of the first year students? I think half my undergrad class ended up at IU.

toothache said:
soon after the dental caries vaccine is developed. Physicians will be able to get the vaccine to people and less people will go to the dentist.

OMG, have you guys heard of this stuff called a toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss??

Once this stuff hits the market people will start using it and will no longer be going to the dentists for cavities! Dentists will be out of buisness in no time. I agree with the OP, the future of dentistry is DIM. Oh wait, this stuff has been around for how many decades? You mean people actually have to be proactive with thier dental care for this stuff to work?

Good example of how lazy people are when it comes to thier own oral hygiene, my wife is a hygienist and went to perform a cleaning on a mid-20's guy about 6 months ago. Upon opening his mouth my wife started looking things over. She noticed that he had what looked like tobacco in his lower lip because there was a black area that covered about half of all his teeth from the gumline up. Well upon probing the dark spot with her explorer, it sank about 4mm into his rotting tooth. Basically his teeth were rotting off at the gumline and the black area she saw was decay. He had to have all of his teeth extracted and will be the proud owner of a full lower denture at the ripe old age of 26.

I guess what I'm saying in all of this is that there are always going to be people that are not active in taking care of thier oral cavity, regardless of the availability, toothbrush and toothpaste $2.00?, because they don't think long term in regard to thier dental health.

eric275 said:
I guess what I'm saying in all of this is that there are always going to be people that are not active in taking care of thier oral cavity, regardless of the availability, toothbrush and toothpaste $2.00?, because they don't think long term in regard to thier dental health.

Exactly. Compliance is always the problem, regardless of the solution that is developed to fix the supposed problem.

ItsGavinC said:
Although the name that is quoted is changed also. :D

But it still may be good form.

Yes, who is this Zurich5 you speak of? Sounds like a stud to me...

Zurik5 said:
Hah, bored at work today. How's 2nd year going for you Bill? Have you met any of the first year students? I think half my undergrad class ended up at IU.
Yeah, I've met some of them. We have a pro-novice program to pair first-years with a D2 to show them the ropes a little bit. My novice is Ahmad (Perfect3435). It's strange to see them doing all the things we were doing last year, but I'm glad to be past it. :D

aphistis said:
Yeah, I've met some of them. We have a pro-novice program to pair first-years with a D2 to show them the ropes a little bit. My novice is Ahmad (Perfect3435). It's strange to see them doing all the things we were doing last year, but I'm glad to be past it. :D

I can imagine... We don't start for another three weeks, so I'm trying to ejoy myself :rolleyes: as much as possible until then. Are you guys in the clinic allready?

Zurik5 said:
I can imagine... We don't start for another three weeks, so I'm trying to ejoy myself :rolleyes: as much as possible until then. Are you guys in the clinic allready?
Er, sorta. We're not providing comprehensive care for patients, but we're qualified now to cut restoration preps in clinic (since we've finished our direct operative course). In another few weeks we'll be certified to do prophies, and we'll continue adding to our repertoire until spring break, when we start hitting the clinics in earnest. I can't wait to work on a living, breathing person. I'm getting tired of my dentoform. ;)

Midoc said:

Oops!

I certainly never meant for my first to be inflammatory, I had just been lurking aroung the forum for a while and decided to chime in an the hygiene question. :oops:

As far as the ressurection, I simply missed the last post date of the thread, oops again. :(

Can I be forgiven for my newbie errors? :luck:

aphistis said:
Agreed. Way to kick things off, champ.

Again, I ask forgiveness for my newbie ways.

The last thing I want to be known as is the inflammatory, newbie, old-thread resurrecting troll hygienist :(

toothcaries said:
whatever.gif

Even with sincere apology I get the jerk off? Que sera sera.

seems like this thread has run its course after looking at the last few posts. and all this started from an ignorant statement from a pessimist. there's always one in every group. must have been a 2nd year. i think we can all agree that dentistry, for better or worse, will change by the time we retire. looking back to the tyson steel link, i don't think he's saying that dentistry is fading, but that with a dentist shortage, we can't bank on selling our practices. on the flip side of that,i think we'll be able to earn more before we retire because we'll be able to charge more due to supply and demand factors.
out

toothcaries said:
how about this..
a personal shot from the resident comic book man of SDN...
gimme a break.
lol

the wifey not giving u some again, bill?

helpful advice for u..
leave the geeky 'star trek' sacrasm to mystery science theater 3000...
mmm-kay?

worstcopy.jpg

:sleep:

By the way, bloody shame your account was frozen. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks you're a model SDN contributor.

aphistis said:
:sleep:

By the way, bloody shame your account was frozen. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks you're a model SDN contributor.

Another one bites the dust... :rolleyes: