Future goals as of now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturaDocta

Pop_Princess_MD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I was just wondering what you all plan on doing after medical school. What is your drive right now? I was just thinking that all our views change and I wanted to kinda note in a forum what your mindset is right now. And, maybe later, you can see how much you changed, if you did.

I'll start...

My life has shaped me to aspire to be a psychiatrist, that can research on the side, while being a part-time professor at a med school.

What do you see in your future?

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting topic! I see myself going into emergency medicine at a teaching hospital.

As of now, it's my goal to do EM and possibly CCM. I don't know if I'd be professor material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing OB/GYN at a rural hospital, with sporadic DWB trips. Doing some kind of non-typical research like decision-making and adherence research.

I really want to be a physician-ethicist, but I don't know what specialty I want to go into.

Interested in doing EM while in the military [active duty]... possibly go into teaching at some point.

Uhh....buy a motorcycle. :thumbup:

edit:

anesthesiology/ct surgery/dermatology/cardiology/emergency medicine/internal medicine/orthopedic surgery/ent surgery/plastic surgery/pathology/radiology. There's more that I'm interested in than I'm not interested in.

Last edited:
Dermatology, or a similar high paying specialty with a nice quality of life.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the physicians I shadowed is a physician for Wash U. He sees patients in office and in rounds, and is also a professor of medicine. He also has written books and has a ton of publications (the point is he does a lot of research).

I would love a job like that.

My life has shaped me to aspire to be a psychiatrist, that can research on the side, while being a part-time professor at a med school.

What do you see in your future?

Exact same actually. Child psychiatrist, in particular. And I'd rather be part of a fellowship than teach at a med school

Bump!

Since majority of the people on here (SDN) seem to be focused on interviews, I thought you all might have an idea of what your future might look like.

oncology and cancer research.. Don't think I can cure cancer but I would like to think that I can provide a better quality of life for my patient's.

This thread blows because it's in the Pre-med forum. You guys haven't even had a histology class for all I know, much less you're really sure you're going for the field you like when at the most you've only shadowed a doctor for a few hours.

Even as an intern where I'm going the job upfront of different specialties I'm not 100% sure I'll end up in Internal medicine. I could very well fall in love with OB/GYN (a specialty I hated when I started med school curiously). ou won't know untill you at least finished your 3rd year of med school and even then it's not 100% probable you'll aim for it.

The title does say "as of now"...

This thread blows because it's in the Pre-med forum. You guys haven't even had a histology class for all I know, much less you're really sure you're going for the field you like when at the most you've only shadowed a doctor for a few hours.

Even as an intern where I'm going the job upfront of different specialties I'm not 100% sure I'll end up in Internal medicine. I could very well fall in love with OB/GYN (a specialty I hated when I started med school curiously). ou won't know untill you at least finished your 3rd year of med school and even then it's not 100% probable you'll aim for it.

Lol. You're just stressed b/c of medical school and are taking it out on us. You went through this phase too, whether you want to admit it or not :)

Balls deep in a trophy wife

I know what specialty I want to be. I have my 10 year plan set up. If I deviate from it, my parents will kill me.

Psychiatry? I hope you change your mind once you get in medical school.

I think most people wants to come out and work to repay their loans. Quite a few people wants part time positions at medical schools just to have some fun on the side.

The short answer is that no matter what specialty you're in, it's just work at the end of the day. You're going to wake up early, work long hours, go home and sleep.

Working for the NIH or CDC. *sigh*