Future MD/PhD interested in becoming a Neonatologist...PhD ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkalim

Figuring things out...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to go the MD-PhD route. After shadowing several doctors in different subspecialties at my school's hospital, I'm kind of leaning toward becoming a neonatologist. But, I'm wondering if it would be smart to become a neonatologist seeing what my research interests are...what I should get my PhD in if these are my research interests?

-How nutrition at the beginning of life can affect the development or treatment of diseases that one is genetically predisposed to (whether congenital or adult-onset).
-How nutrition at the beginning of life can affect the development or treatment of diseases with genetic factors involved (whether congenital or adult-onset).
-How nutrition at the beginning of life can affect the development of diseases with suspected or without known genetic factors involved (whether congenital or adult onset).
-How certain components in food supplemented early in life can affect the manifestation of disease later in life.
-Breastfeeding versus formula
-Optimal breastfeeding length of time
-Best diet for a mother that is breastfeeding
(When I refer to the “beginning of life,” I also refer to conception, not only birth.)

Some of the diseases/disorders I am interested in include diabetes, cystic fibrosis, HIV/AIDS, eczema, celiac disease, and anemia.

Maybe I could get my PhD in immunology, or endocrinology if that was available? I don't know. I really wanted to get it in Metabolic Biology or Nutritional Biochemistry...but I don't know what I can do with that.
Please help.
Thanks!
~Kali

As a clinical faculty member at a major medical school, my comment is that all of these research questions are clinical research questions, not bench research questions of the type that an MD-PhD program prepares you for. Rather than an MD PhD, I would recommend an MD-MS (epidemiology or medical statistics) or better yet, an MD-MPH (Master of Public Health) which would much better prepare you to develop good clinical research hypotheses and the clinical trials that it would take to answer them. These combined programs would give you a head start on the clinical research that takes a straight MD more time to develop.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my masters thesis with a neonatalogist. We worked on maternal nutrition and its effect on neonatal responses to infections. I am an immunologist but I feel for your interests a PhD in endocrinology maybe more helpful. The most important thing for your PhD training is not the program but the mentor you choose. So make sure that you work with an neonatalogist.

Edit: You dont have to work with a neonatalogist, but working someone whose research interest is related to neonatalogy will help you understand the field and find your own niche.

Last edited:
A bit of warning. Since neonatalogy is critical care medicine, you will have to fight very hard with your department for protected research time. My collaborator was basically on service working 20 hour days 7 days a week for 2 weeks at a time every month.

I agree with the second poster. You seem like an extremely organized and thinking person. But, MD/PhD may not be the correct degree for you....even though you are likely qualified to do it. A PhD in Epidemiology is also something to consider as most of the questions you are asking are likely to be answered with clinical studies in populations. Really search your soul about whether you want to do BENCH research, or really think about the alternate PhDs that you can do MD/PhD with. Take time to sit with it if you can.

I commend you for thinking about what you *think* your residency will be in before you start your program. A LOT of people do not do this and end up very frustrated at points along their career. I know of someone in an MD/PhD program who did his/her PhD in immunology of an infectious disease (that has no surgical interventions), and then went into a surgery residency.....with no intent of doing research. Talk about wasting NIH money! And this person KNEW they wanted to do surgery from before they entered MD/PhD!

Really think about the good you will/won't do on this path. Good luck!

A bit of warning. Since neonatalogy is critical care medicine, you will have to fight very hard with your department for protected research time. My collaborator was basically on service working 20 hour days 7 days a week for 2 weeks at a time every month.

This is uncommon in academic neonatology, although it does exist at a few programs that I know about. Remember that junior faculty supported with training grant or new mentored investigator grants (K08) are mandated to have 75-80% research time. It would be a foolish section head in neonatology who would take a funded new faculty and not give them enough time to accomplish enough with their first grant to be competitive for an R01.

This is uncommon in academic neonatology, although it does exist at a few programs that I know about. Remember that junior faculty supported with training grant or new mentored investigator grants (K08) are mandated to have 75-80% research time. It would be a foolish section head in neonatology who would take a funded new faculty and not give them enough time to accomplish enough with their first grant to be competitive for an R01.

The person I am working is in the process of applying for a K08. I think that is why she has to deal with so much clinical duties. It is also hard to generate enough data for a competitive K08 when being on service. I agree that things tend to get easier AFTER getting funded.