future NYCOM student with major questions about housing: please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littledoc2be

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you current medical students get annoyed when we pre-osteopathic students post on your board. But I know that there are a lot of us who will be attending NYCOM in the fall and have a lot of questions with regards to housing. Most of you were in our shoes a year or two ago, so I beg of you that if any of you can answer any of these questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

How far away from the school do current NYCOMers live? How important is it to live near the school, and what is considered "near the school"? Is 15 min away ok? Is 30 min away ok? Do students at NYCOM tend to study in groups? Does anatomy lab require most students to stay late at school and study? Do students really end up attending lectures since it is all on the internet anyway?

Also, how about issues that people are having like how religion plays into where you live? how family plays into this? if you have a spouse, do they work close to the school? do they prefer a particular location? Do you have children that you would like to spend maximum time with?

Did any of you buy an apartment because you will be living there for at least 4 years of your life, whether single or married?

I know this is a long post, but I think it is really important that we empower ourselves with knowledge so that we can make the right decisions. After all, these decisions with affect the rest of our lives.

I can't possibly thank you enough for any insight you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be best if you (and other 2008er's) asked these questions on the NYCOM webboard under "Housing" or "New Student Orientation." If you have been accepted, you should have been provided with a log-in name and password to enter. There are many second/third/fourth years (and even the director of Student Affairs) who frequent that site and are eager to entertain your questions and address your concerns.

Oops... you mentioned something about the pre-osteopathic forum so you might be applying to NYCOM. If so, I'll check back later and answer your questions. But I'm pretty sure there are some other nuts on here that will give you there two cents before me :laugh:

I have been accepted to NYCOM and will be attending this coming fall. I have tried to log-in on their website using the log-in ID and password but I am having trouble finding the webboard.

For me, my dilemma is as follows: I have been married for 1 year and will be starting NYCOM in the fall. We have a small (3.5 pounds fully grown) dog so that limits where we can live. Also, we are orthodox jews, so we must live in a community where there is an orthodox temple within a mile. We were looking at Queens and Riverdale and possible great neck, but my concern is that they are too far away. Queens should be a 20 min drive and Riverdale should be a 30 min drive. My father-in-law and brother-in-laws all say that I should live as close to the school as possible b/c I will need to stay at school til really late to study. But husband's job is in central new jersey, so we can't move too far into long island b/c he still has to commute like an hour and fifteen minutes at least.

I really need help deciding how far away you really need to live to the school. I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off little D, RELAX.

There are lots of people in very similar situations to yourself. What I recommend is getting in touch with Elizabeth Doran over at NYCOM new Tech. Initiative, she will set you up with a password and access to the NYCOM webboard. As for living arrangements I know some of the Orthodox students live in nearby West Hempstead where their is a large community, Great Neck is fine as well, but its VERY expensive. Come to think of it Queens KGH or the area would be great for you guys especially since your husbands commuting to Jersey.

Don't worry about a 20 min drive to school, I commuted longer than that and many of my freinds drove double (tripple??) that and we survived, its really not as big a deal as you think.

I realize that your anxious, we all were when we got started, just realize that everything will fall into place, The LAST thing you should be worried about this summer is the amount of time you'll be spending in anatomy lab. I would recommend that you and your husband take a week off together and go somewhere with blue water.

Lastly, NYCOM is a great school and Im sure you'll be happy. The best bit of advice I can give is regarding the scheduling of exams, the block system is stressfull, taking five exams in four days is serious business so be prepared for that, start studying early. Realize that depending on how you handle stress this may be a difficult time for your husband as well, prepare to deal with this. This may sound trivial but its important.

blue

although queens "should be" a 20min drive, and riverdale "should be" a 30min drive, it definitely wont be at the time you will most likely be travelling... keep that in mind.

Chrisobean said:
although queens "should be" a 20min drive, and riverdale "should be" a 30min drive, it definitely wont be at the time you will most likely be travelling... keep that in mind.

I agree. I visited my brother while he was at NYCOM and he lived in Forest Hills in Queens. When he left before 7am, he got to school around 7:20 or 7:25. Whenever he left after that, he got to school in 45 minutes, even more. Oh, and driving on the LIE doesn't help either with all that never-ending construction going on.