Future of Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krafty

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an anesthesia bound (or so I think) MS IV. My questions are:

1) With the current shortage of MDAs, what are the prospects of market saturation within the next say 10-20 years?

2) How do people perceive the future of anesthesia MDA practice versus CRNA practice? Will it polarize one way or the other? Speculations are welcome.
(I'm almost afraid to ask this question after reading the previous CRNA related posts).

3) Granted Anesthesiology is allegedly experiencing the golden age (f.i. market demand), how do people project this trend to continue?

Answers to any of these questions are welcome.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Krafty

2) How do people perceive the future of anesthesia MDA practice versus CRNA practice? Will it polarize one way or the other? Speculations are welcome.
(I'm almost afraid to ask this question after reading the previous CRNA related posts).

OH GOD, another CRNA vs MDA thread. :p

I think there is room for both, there is a huge shortage of CRNA's right now too.

The first and second questions are kinda the same. I have heard estimates of the great job market to last another 7-10 years.

Naeblis,

be careful where you tread, I'll be watching you...

:D

I'll bite my tongue this time, JUST THIS ONCE, though

Members don't see this ad :)
ya another torture thread addressing the crna vs mda issue

simply torture :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MacGyver
OK so given the following facts what residency choices will I have?

1) Finishing in bottom 1/2 of class at a top 10 school
2) Average clinical recommendations
3) Average Step I score
4) MD/PhD graduate with several relevant publications

So I realize that I wont be matching at Harvard Mass General, but what specialties do I still have a shot at in a community program?

Glad you've decided not to waste too much time Mac, you really need to hit the books. :D