future of CCLCM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef_NU

G-Unit
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just at CCLCM on Monday and it really blew me away. The place was truly incredible. I had high expectations, but they were all surpassed. Definitely moved to or near the top of my list. However, as it is a new program, does anyone have any insight into how graduates from that program will do with respect to matching residency, USMLE success, etc. I know it would be speculation, but to anyone who is knowledgeable, I would appreciate your opinion of the program. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to find out about the competitiveness of the CCLCM students, but can't seem to really find anything.

ExMike posted that the averages are ~3.7 GPA and 33 MCAT, but when I contacted CC, they said that they don't publish these numbers, and that acceptances are based more on research experience than numbers.

As of now, this is the best school that I've been accepted to, but it worries me a little because its first students are only second years now, and they have no numbers (i.e. MLE scores) to compare themselves with other medical students.

So in a nutshell, I think it's going to be really hard to judge how the students will do... or even whether they have an advantage over Case students, which I don't think is the case (ha ha). Dean Horwitz at CWRU is revamping the curriculum to model more like CCLCM, and it makes me wonder what the true difference between the programs are, because CWRU students can do their clinical rotations at Cleveland Clinic as well.

Just my dos centavos...

I think the Cleveland Clinic name will go a long way. Plus you are part of Case and your diploma will say that, so that can't hurt either. I think the benefits are the scholarships, nice facilities, small class size and paid research year. If you are set on academic medicine, and want PBL, the independence and lack of grades, then go for it. My theory is reputation means less then what you do with your education and get out of it, especially at a place like CCLCM.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was at CCLCM last week too, i was really looking forward to learning more about this program because i thought it would be a good fit, i ended up disliking the program alot. yes they have incredible facilities, incredible opportunities, and incredible technologies, however, the whole place just gave me a bad vibe. it seemed like the students were not having much fun at all. to each their own, i just couldnt stand having a class size of 32, 100% pbl lectures, and a dress code even just for class! i enjoy being a student and class is for sandals and t shirts, ties and proper shoes i can understand in certain situations, but during class time, gimme a break. needless to say, i kinda had a bad taste in mouth when i went to CASE the next day, but i ended up really liking CASE, soooo much more than CCLCM, dean horowitz seems incredible, the new curriculum is really intriguing, and one has the benefits of the Cleveland Clinic right next door, without the stuck-up all learn no fun atmosphere of the college program.

Trust me, once you get used to wearing a suit or even a dress shirt and tie, it becomes second nature and you almost forget about it. I used to hate putting on a suit, but once I started working at the funeral home I almost forget I have a suit on when I go to work.

TheDarkSide said:
CCLCM has a dress code????

It is an unspoken code, but YES they do!

lobster M.D. said:
it seemed like the students were not having much fun at all. to each their own, i just couldnt stand having a class size of 32, 100% pbl lectures, and a dress code even just for class! i enjoy being a student and class is for sandals and t shirts, ties and proper shoes i can understand in certain situations, but during class time, gimme a break.

I'm sorry you got the impression that the students weren't having much fun at CCLCM. Because as a student, I can tell you that's not the case. I prefer learning to be interactive and fun (which it is), rather than a passive process of sitting through 4hrs of lecture. I don't know any of my classmates that regret their desicion to attend CCLCM. However, the program is not for everyone. It's all about knowing yourself and the best way you like to learn.

As for the dress code, it's how the real world works. Think of your typical 22 yo graduate starting their first job at some office. They are able to get out of bed, be on time, and dress appropriately. If not they get fired. Yes, it takes some adjustment, but it is a part of growing up and being a professional. After the first month or two, it's no longer a big deal.

yes, but i am not entering the real world, i am entering school for the next 4 years, and while i can understand the necessity of a dress code in clinic and in particular settings, i feel requiring one while sitting in class is a bit overbearing and ridiculous (maybe its cause im from california and class is for sandals and dirty t-shirts), i am partly excited about med school because i get to be a student still, if i wanted to enter the real world now i would have chosen a much different path, but like you said, its a personal vibe you should go off, and the CCLCM program just gave me a bad vibe, i wish it hadnt because it is an incredible program, CASE on the other hand came off as a much more fun group of students and enjoyable program

So someone please clarify.. the dress code is a suit? or dress slacks and shirt/tie?

I'm happy about this. There's nothing so attractive as a guy with tassels on his shoes and a polo shirt :laugh:

firebird69guy said:
So someone please clarify.. the dress code is a suit? or dress slacks and shirt/tie?

Everyday dress code implies: no jeans, no t-shirts, no shorts, etc. There is a wide range that fits into this category.

Clinic dress code: ties for guys, white coat, no tennis shoes, etc.

It's really not that bad once you get used to it. Hey, it gave me a reason to do a little shopping! :D

Eitherway, it's all about where you'll be happy for the next 4-5 years. If you have more questions, feel free to pm me
Nina

oh snap, i didn't knw they have a dress code. i love my jeans and tennis shoes!!! guess it will be another thing to think about in choosing school then...

Does anybody know if CCLCM has average USMLE board scores for the second years?.. and how they compare to other schools?

Doko said:
Does anybody know if CCLCM has average USMLE board scores for the second years?.. and how they compare to other schools?
noone from lerner has taken the boards yet. ask again in august