future of indian dentist in usa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amandentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi..i am starting this thread to share all my thoughts with other members.i am a dentist with scores in late 80's in part 1 and i havent got seat since last 3 years.i took mye xam in both old and new patters..my score is not somthing bad..i wanted to share with all you that is it really worth spending this much time here and just waiting for getting into dental schools..
i was been told by one of my batchmates and he then introduced me to a travel agent and he described that its so easy to be dentist in usa and bla bla bla..but the reality is ,its not,and especially among indians ,we have lot of competition..not in 100's or few thousands,its too much than that..
i was a teacher in a dental college and i left my job nd everything and we move here in that hope,but all over here i can see the things are not the same as they used to be 5 years back..getting into dental schools is lot harder for indian students than any other country's people..
I THINK ALL OF US BAK IN INDIA JUST BEEN TOLD THAT WE JUST NEED TO GO TO USA AND DENTISTRY IS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF US,BUT ITS BEEN CHANGED NOW..THE CRITERIA OF SELECTION AND ADMISISONS IS SO DIFFERENT THAT NO 1 KNOWS HOW ITS GoIN TO HAPPEN.
pls share your thoughts on this and i am planin to move bak to india as i dont want to be living here as an assistant or may b some other job as whole of my life and leave my profession forever if i dont make into school
what do you guys say about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hi..i am starting this thread to share all my thoughts with other members.i am a dentist with scores in late 80's in part 1 and i havent got seat since last 3 years.i took mye xam in both old and new patters..my score is not somthing bad..its a score of 88 in new pattern too and i also have gpa of 3.31,toefl over 100,still havent been accepted in the schools yet.
i wanted to share with all you that is it really worth spending this much time here and just waiting for getting into dental schools..
i was been told by one of my batchmates and he then introduced me to a travel agent and he described that its so easy to be dentist in usa and bla bla bla..but the reality is ,its not,and especially among indians ,we have lot of competition..not in 100's or few thousands,its too much than that..
i was a professor in a dental college and i left my job nd everything and we move here in that hope,but all over here i can see the things are not the same as they used to be 5 years back..getting into dental schools is lot harder for indian students than any other country's people..
I THINK ALL OF US BAK IN INDIA JUST BEEN TOLD THAT WE JUST NEED TO GO TO USA AND DENTISTRY IS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF US,BUT ITS BEEN CHANGED NOW..THE CRITERIA OF SELECTION AND ADMISISONS IS SO DIFFERENT THAT NO 1 KNOWS HOW ITS GoIN TO HAPPEN.
pls share your thoughts on this and i am planin to move bak to india as i dont want to be living here as an assistant or may b some other job as whole of my life and leave my profession forever if i dont make into school
I got in my 4th attempt and know at least 2 others who got in the 3rd or even 5th attempt. As far as is this worth it- only you can answer it for yourself. From my experience though, the acceptance letter made me forget all the previous failed attempts/the agony and the pain.

But I know that dentists in India do well too. So its your call.

but it happened for u in ur 4th attempt but u might be a green card or citizen and u must b hvng ur family to support u to live and there.but people like us,who r om student or h4 visa,its very hard to support ourself in such tight economic situations.dats why HONESTLY SPEAKING,I WOULD SAY THAT ITS WAY HARDER NOW TO GET INTO DENTAL SCHOOLS NOW THEN 2 YEARS BACK.ALL STUDENTS LIKE ME THINK THEY CAN GET INTO SCHOOL SO EASILY BUT WHEN THEY R HER,THEN THEY KNOW THE REALITY.its very very hard to get in dental schools nw then ever,especially indian as they have competition among themself only..due to racial diversity the schools in these programms

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought,maybe you can go back to india and continue to apply to schools and come for interviews where you feel you have a good chance of being selected.You will be working as a dentist and still trying to get into some college both at the same time.

but it happened for u in ur 4th attempt but u might be a green card or citizen and u must b hvng ur family to support u to live and there.but people like us,who r om student or h4 visa,its very hard to support ourself in such tight economic situations.dats why HONESTLY SPEAKING,I WOULD SAY THAT ITS WAY HARDER NOW TO GET INTO DENTAL SCHOOLS NOW THEN 2 YEARS BACK.ALL STUDENTS LIKE ME THINK THEY CAN GET INTO SCHOOL SO EASILY BUT WHEN THEY R HER,THEN THEY KNOW THE REALITY.its very very hard to get in dental schools nw then ever,especially indian as they have competition among themself only..due to racial diversity the schools in these programms
Hmmm NO. I am not a permanent resident. And yes I went down the student route, supporting myself...the whole nine yards.

Maybe it's harder now because there are several more students than 2 years ago? This is intense competition and there is no escaping that. And it doesn't stop at acceptance. Then there is getting of loans, finding a job after graduation and paying the loan back.

A word to the wise- now is the time to keep up your confidence and your mind strong.

Or like Harvestmoon suggested above, you could move back and commute for interviews.

Hi Aman,

Everything depends on what we want in and from our life. Is living in the USA more important or being a dentist? Decide upon your priorities. It is better to try and not succeed than not trying at all. Remember, you are not rejected. You just tried your best to achieve your dream.

I know its a tough situation but remember you came here with a target and now whatsoever it takes you have to get it. I am a student on F1 only and yes the road is not easy especially among us Indians, so many of us so high scores but then its something to be proud of. What i would like to know did u go over the facts why u didn't get into a school after trying and retrying? you told you were a professor in India so u have pretty good experience but man what are you doing on H4 till now get on to F1 get into school and do some MPH or whatever to at least give u an additional degree, some additional edge some opportunity to work and get some earning, have you been doing observer ship or some voluntary work during all this time? Like La Fea said there are lot many who get into late but its because we realize its little late for what we shud have done earlier, its just matter or retracing your steps carefully.

i wish you all the best in whatever decision you take, but still wish you stay and get what u came here for

@ aman
You have many strong points that might put you ahead of some with higher scores than you
1. You have experience that is definitely weighed in interviews. 2.Your scores aren't that bad, given that people with lesser scores got in.
3.You are already in USA, half the battle is won- many dream of but cant get visas. 4. You have some one to support- there are many out there who are on their own to fend for themselves till they get into schools.

All you need is a little perseverance-understandable your frustation. At the end IT PAYS ! At this point there is no point turning back because you dont belong to anywhere if you do. Unless you are sure you'll be able to pickup where you left not regretting about these 3 years. Afterall everything in life is an experience and a lesson.

As suggested earlier it is a good idea to get into an MPH meanwhile which might be of use along with DDS later in your job search. Health care jobs are still going good in this economy thanks to the stimulus bill. Also the Dschools might want more money to maintain themselves.
But if you feel you need to be occupied it may be a good idea for you to be commuting for interviews as suggested from India. It is always better you are in a school or a dental job meanwhile to justify in the interviews.
Going back is always an easy alternative but that shouldn't be because of these reasons.
I was in a similar position just few years ago but its over and I am a dentist here today.
But a word of advice to all those who want to come to USA now. Better come well prepared to do NDB1 /and 2 instead of preparing here. It saves time.
Good luck.

@ aman
You have many strong points that might put you ahead of some with higher scores than you
1. You have experience that is definitely weighed in interviews. 2.Your scores aren't that bad, given that people with lesser scores got in.
3.You are already in USA, half the battle is won- many dream of but cant get visas. 4. You have some one to support- there are many out there who are on their own to fend for themselves till they get into schools.

All you need is a little perseverance-understandable your frustation. At the end IT PAYS ! At this point there is no point turning back because you dont belong to anywhere if you do. Unless you are sure you'll be able to pickup where you left not regretting about these 3 years. Afterall everything in life is an experience and a lesson

As suggested earlier it is a good idea to get into an MPH meanwhile which might be of use along with DDS later in your job search. Health care jobs are still going good in this economy thanks to the stimulus bill. Also the Dschools might want more money to maintain themselves.
But if you feel you need to be occupied it may be a good idea for you to be commuting for interviews as suggested from India. It is always better you are in a school or a dental job meanwhile to justify in the interviews.
Going back is always an easy alternative but that shouldn't be because of these reasons.
I was in a similar position just few years ago but its over and I am a dentist here today.
But a word of advice to all those who want to come to USA now. Better come well prepared to do NDB1 /and 2 instead of preparing here. It saves time.
Good luck.

DENTEYE- wish someone had given me this advise to be prepared for part I & II when I landed here...I think things are only as bad as one makes them out to be..positive thinking is so essential in these times..its a matter of perseverance!

Hi ,

Im also a foriegn trained dentist (india) , just gave my NBDE 1 - got 88 ,
i am looking for some worth while post graduation course- interested in pediatrics , but looks lke illinois doesnt have any programs that accept FTD's ..does any one know of any good residency program or post graduate program in chicagothat accepts FTD's? I am not a permanent resident - even thats a hurdle. Is there nothng to do for students like us?
Pls help, will be really appreciated.

regards

Hmmm NO. I am not a permanent resident. And yes I went down the student route, supporting myself...the whole nine yards.

Maybe it's harder now because there are several more students than 2 years ago? This is intense competition and there is no escaping that. And it doesn't stop at acceptance. Then there is getting of loans, finding a job after graduation and paying the loan back.

A word to the wise- now is the time to keep up your confidence and your mind strong.

Or like Harvestmoon suggested above, you could move back and commute for interviews.

Hi ,

Im also a foriegn trained dentist (india) , just gave my NBDE 1 - got 88 ,
i am looking for some worth while post graduation course- interested in pediatrics , but looks lke illinois doesnt have any programs that accept FTD's ..does any one know of any good residency program or post graduate program in chicagothat accepts FTD's? I am not a permanent resident - even thats a hurdle. Is there nothng to do for students like us?
Pls help, will be really appreciated.

regards
Don't know about IL. If you are willing to go outside the State, there are programs in NY, MD- residencies and several DDS/DMD programs.

i am saying its not impossible,but very very hard,and for us who want to start for a new career here,its really not and easy thing.it just looks like that we all can get dds here,but i know many of people,who came here,had good scores but havent got into any dental schools and now doing some dental assistant courses or changed their careers.no matter whatever hopes we have,but its all matter of lot of things,and now,the NOW THE GOVERNMENT IS CUTTING THE H1 AND H4 FOR NEW COMERS,ITS GOIGN TO BE MORE TOUGH,AND PRESIDENT HAS ALSO STATED THAT FIRST PREFERENCE WILLBE GIVEN TO S RESIDENTS AND CITIZENS,SO,FRIENDS,THE REALITY IS THAT GETTING INTO DDS OWDAYS,IS REALLY VERY HARD.
YEA I HAVE MY HUSBAND,WHO TRIED TO SUPPORT ME,BUT ITS GETTING HARDER AS MANY ENGINEERS ARE GETTING LAID OFF..SO,THINGS NOT GOING RIGHT.
@ aman

All you need is a little perseverance-understandable your frustation. At the end IT PAYS ! At this point there is no point turning back because you dont belong to anywhere if you do. Unless you are sure you'll be able to pickup where you left not regretting about these 3 years. Afterall everything in life is an experience and a lesson.

Good luck.

i am saying its not impossible,but very very hard,and for us who want to start for a new career here,its really not and easy thing.it just looks like that we all can get dds here,but i know many of people,who came here,had good scores but havent got into any dental schools and now doing some dental assistant courses or changed their careers.no matter whatever hopes we have,but its all matter of lot of things,and now,the NOW THE GOVERNMENT IS CUTTING THE H1 AND H4 FOR NEW COMERS,ITS GOIGN TO BE MORE TOUGH,AND PRESIDENT HAS ALSO STATED THAT FIRST PREFERENCE WILLBE GIVEN TO S RESIDENTS AND CITIZENS,SO,FRIENDS,THE REALITY IS THAT GETTING INTO DDS OWDAYS,IS REALLY VERY HARD.
YEA I HAVE MY HUSBAND,WHO TRIED TO SUPPORT ME,BUT ITS GETTING HARDER AS MANY ENGINEERS ARE GETTING LAID OFF..SO,THINGS NOT GOING RIGHT.
hi amandentist..thank u for searing ur view.It is very sad 2 hear that after being a professor and other experience who didn't gt admission.I am a foreign post graduate dentist with 84 score,research ,paper presentation,international publication....do i stand any chance..i am also in a big dileema..planning 2 move to us and procedd further with family.what do u advice ..

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a few students from India who got into IDS program in DDS this year too. But they waited for their turn definitely. How long, is a matter of personal choice and circumstances.
Employ American citizens first isn't a generalised term.There are exceptions at least health side.There is a need for health professionals in many areas.Even now there are reasonably good number of dental jobs regardless of economy. DSchools need IDS programs to reinforce their survival. To fullfil american dream isn't totally closed.
There are a few dentists I know of who took Kaplan NDB courses in India and came here just to take the exams and returned back to their jobs. They aren't much at loss to wait till they get their interviews. When you are serious about profession some planning is all that you need.
Every body today who is able to advice has gone thru' their share of hardships and are contributing their experiences. This isnt a personal statement but a general view. Soft ware/visas is a totally different issue.

I know a few students from India who got into IDS program in DDS this year too. But they waited for their turn definitely. How long, is a matter of personal choice and circumstances.
Employ American citizens first isn't a generalised term.There are exceptions at least health side.There is a need for health professionals in many areas.Even now there are reasonably good number of dental jobs regardless of economy. DSchools need IDS programs to reinforce their survival. To fullfil american dream isn't totally closed.
There are a few dentists I know of who took Kaplan NDB courses in India and came here just to take the exams and returned back to their jobs. They aren't much at loss to wait till they get their interviews. When you are serious about profession some planning is all that you need.
Every body today who is able to advice has gone thru' their share of hardships and are contributing their experiences. This isnt a personal statement but a general view. Soft ware/visas is a totally different issue.
Everyone has overcome much difficulty in the process of obtaining admission for the IDS programs. In that you are not alone. Everybody is suffering because of the economy- from finding a job/visa sponsor to holding on to the job to worrying about paying for college and retirement.

In this sea of brilliant and qualified candidates, sometimes the difference between acceptance and rejection boils down to attitude. Your attitude.

In this sea of brilliant and qualified candidates, sometimes the difference between acceptance and rejection boils down to attitude. Your attitude.

So very well said!:)

as i startd this forum to bring awareness and to share my problem and students who might face such problems or who want to come and struggle here,and truely,after going thru all this,i dont know what holds in my future but yea,if u can bear all those expenses of living and studying together and then u have money to spend in application process then u should come,but like as per said in the forum,its matter of personal choice,but that choice can sometimes make ur life stated back for a long time and i believe the people who got into the school have succedded but i also know many who dint get at all and now in other fields.and their more number than the ones we see selected and admitted in the schools.
hi amandentist..thank u for searing ur view.It is very sad 2 hear that after being a professor and other experience who didn't gt admission.I am a foreign post graduate dentist with 84 score,research ,paper presentation,international publication....do i stand any chance..i am also in a big dileema..planning 2 move to us and procedd further with family.what do u advice ..

as i startd this forum to bring awareness and to share my problem and students who might face such problems or who want to come and struggle here,and truely,after going thru all this,i dont know what holds in my future but yea,if u can bear all those expenses of living and studying together and then u have money to spend in application process then u should come,but like as per said in the forum,its matter of personal choice,but that choice can sometimes make ur life stated back for a long time and i believe the people who got into the school have succedded but i also know many who dint get at all and now in other fields.and their more number than the ones we see selected and admitted in the schools.

hi aman,
i can feel ur pain.i came to us 4 yrs ago, with the same attitude that dds is a piece of cake n its 'take the nbde n get admission'kinda deal.then i got caught up with my MPH, earnign money to survive, personal issues and had to retake nbde to get good score.I am female from india and not married and dont have any relatives in US! if i tell u that my life was tough and at times miserable...it wud be an underestimation.
but never ever once did i consider going back to india an option. I came here with hope and was not ready to give up that.i observed at a clinic , graduated with mph, even worked part time odd jobs to make ends meet and all this while ,managing my visa status.
And today. i am in a dental school, and the only thing that matters now is what lies ahead of me, and i am proud of what i have gobe thru..alone .think about this-can u imagine life without DDS..if yes then go back, but if ur anything like me and cant imagine life without DDS, then u will find a way....i know u will.

Reactions: 3 users
hi aman,
i can feel ur pain.i came to us 4 yrs ago, with the same attitude that dds is a piece of cake n its 'take the nbde n get admission'kinda deal.then i got caught up with my MPH, earnign money to survive, personal issues and had to retake nbde to get good score.I am female from india and not married and dont have any relatives in US! if i tell u that my life was tough and at times miserable...it wud be an underestimation.
but never ever once did i consider going back to india an option. I came here with hope and was not ready to give up that.i observed at a clinic , graduated with mph, even worked part time odd jobs to make ends meet and all this while ,managing my visa status.
And today. i am in a dental school, and the only thing that matters now is what lies ahead of me, and i am proud of what i have gobe thru..alone .think about this-can u imagine life without DDS..if yes then go back, but if ur anything like me and cant imagine life without DDS, then u will find a way....i know u will.

well said :thumbup:

when u dntt hv ne 1 to manage ur visa status,and u have to think not only abt u but ur spouse too,then its a different story.its all more easier if we r single,but different when we hv responsibility ofothers too..
i congratulate u on ur admissions and hope all get success like u,but i dont understand what to do now and where to go
hi aman,

Be brave and follow your heart buddy. Life is not a bed of roses. Hope you won't mind it.:thumbup::)

when u dntt hv ne 1 to manage ur visa status,and u have to think not only abt u but ur spouse too,then its a different story.its all more easier if we r single,but different when we hv responsibility ofothers too..
i congratulate u on ur admissions and hope all get success like u,but i dont understand what to do now and where to go

hi aman,
Excellent.SDN needs people like you to keep up the positive spirit.
Good luck for your future

Hi Aman
I think you should feel lucky that u have a husband who is working ,so u don't have to worry about how to pay rent or how to eat.U can concentrate only on yr studies.But when u r alone u have to manage everything alone..Isn't it more difficult?????????/

well that was ery useful of ur info.....ABOUT ME...im a dental student(last year) and im really stuck with what to do.i'll pen dwn my priorities..i dnt have a visa,i wanna study abroad,i wanna earn good money,doubtful abt coming back or staying there...!!!
so im confused between

1.tryin for a pg seat here
2.goin thru the MPH way(will it really help??? :/)
3.takin the visitor visa and then goin there to crack the NBDE exams( but my fear is dat wat if i get into an university,then wat??!!,hw do i face the visa guys again !!!!! :O )

i kindly be waitin for your reply to help me out :)

Hey If you are a dental student in India,

appear for NBDE exam on visitor visa, go back to India. build your resume with cosmetic dentistry, certifications , research etc. Stay in iNdia and keep applying in US, so that you continue to utilise your skills in INdia. try for 5 years , if you cannot make it in here, just continue in INdia.

or

apply to AEGD in US with dental experience in INdia. See if you can try for radiology, TMJD programs , but make sure you work in India.

or
MPH is a good option, but again you can get jobs after MPH only if you have a greencard. May be you can be part of research if you do good in school.

Anyways , do not waste time in US and be no where.

This is my thinking, please decisions are yours!!!

good luck!

QUOTE=mibbaig;13468256]well that was ery useful of ur info.....ABOUT ME...im a dental student(last year) and im really stuck with what to do.i'll pen dwn my priorities..i dnt have a visa,i wanna study abroad,i wanna earn good money,doubtful abt coming back or staying there...!!!
so im confused between

1.tryin for a pg seat here
2.goin thru the MPH way(will it really help??? :/)
3.takin the visitor visa and then goin there to crack the NBDE exams( but my fear is dat wat if i get into an university,then wat??!!,hw do i face the visa guys again !!!!! :O )

i kindly be waitin for your reply to help me out :)[/QUOTE]

hi,
Thanks for your advise.
I m international dentist from India,please advise about Mph selection since i have no publications, which states shd i apply and are online MPH programes acceptable,how do i select where to apply,?/i cant think of dds..Please advise.my email is [email protected].
Thanks.All the best to you.
sabrina

Excellent.SDN needs people like you to keep up the positive spirit.
Good luck for your future

Excellent post.
Been there done that - I know how it feels. Been through a lot, failed and failed and failed again to succeed. Odd jobs yes, loans yes, borrowing money - yes, visa issues - yes, relationship issues, family issues -- name it and I had it on my way, what kept me going..my pasion for dentistry -- my dream to be a in a dental school - landed here with two bags and not knowing what to do -- all thorugh the failures - had my best friend to back me up, to motivate me after every failure -- and today I am a dentist here and working -- and she will be graduating dental school next year.

To everyone who is struggling : dont lose hope - it was never easy and it will never be easy, if you need to achieve your dreams as much as you need to breathe - no matter what, you will make a way for it.

Wishing each one of you nothing but the VERY BEST for every step you take.

Reactions: 1 users
i find the talk encouraging as there is light at the end of the tunnel even if the process is slow and long

Hi i have a question. So i am 15 years old and planning on going to a dental collage, I have a choice to either go to dental collage in Indian or Stay in the USA and get my degree here. Which place would be better financially in future for a dentist, India or USA?

Hi i have a question. So i am 15 years old and planning on going to a dental collage, I have a choice to either go to dental collage in Indian or Stay in the USA and get my degree here. Which place would be better financially in future for a dentist, India or USA?
Stay back in the U.S. Coming to india for dentistry and then going back is not worth it whereas if you stay back and get a good GPA from high school through College you might get into a great dental school

Hi Everyone,
It is excellent thread,
Even I need some advice, after retaking couple of time my part 1 86 and part 2 pass with toefl 107 I got reject from all the 8 school, when I called and emailed they replied that my GPA is less , my gpa compressive 2.64 and best result 3.22 . again I am applying this year. It is very stressful situation. please advice me what else I can do .
thanks in Advice.

Stay back in the U.S. Coming to india for dentistry and then going back is not worth it whereas if you stay back and get a good GPA from high school through College you might get into a great dental school

Good advice.

Explain your interest, ask what you need to do to be competitive applicant. They will put you on the right path.

Last edited:
hi..i am starting this thread to share all my thoughts with other members.i am a dentist with scores in late 80's in part 1 and i havent got seat since last 3 years.i took mye xam in both old and new patters..my score is not somthing bad..i wanted to share with all you that is it really worth spending this much time here and just waiting for getting into dental schools..
i was a teacher in a dental college and i left my job nd everything and we move here in that hope,but all over here i can see the things are not the same as they used to be 5 years back..getting into dental schools is lot harder for indian students than any other country's people..
hi international students of dentist, pls visit this site and add ur signature asking for the right to work without studying in colleges in usa.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...te-wout-going-back-school-it-was-ca-03-blockg