future of military medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone predict what the future of military medicine will be like (based on their current experiences, knowledge, or special access)? rather than vague predictions of doom, i was hoping for specific plans as well as details of the current restructuring.

Of particular interest, I am wondering if the following will be improved:

1. quality of medical training (military residencies)
2. proper resources and enough patients to maintain medical skills necessary for post-military life

It seems to be the general opinion that unless someone (higher up) wises up, the current system will collapse as attrition of existing doctors and non-existence of HPSP candidates will increase as more information regarding the current situation is revealed. :(

lastly, to be proactive, what can we do now to hasten those reforms?

-service academy graduate, Active army, HPSP applicant (this is the only option for me to go to medical school)

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone predict what the future of military medicine will be like (based on their current experiences, knowledge, or special access)? rather than vague predictions of doom, i was hoping for specific plans as well as details of the current restructuring.

2. proper resources and enough patients to maintain medical skills necessary for post-military life

It seems to be the general opinion that unless someone (higher up) wises up, the current system will collapse as attrition of existing doctors and non-existence of HPSP candidates will increase as more information regarding the current situation is revealed. :(

lastly, to be proactive, what can we do now to hasten those reforms?

-service academy graduate, Active army, HPSP applicant (this is the only option for me to go to medical school)

Why is it the only option. If you've read this forum thoroughly, you see that you are getting involved in a bad situation that only seems to be getting worse, with no good solution in site. Military medicine at this time is a bad choice.

Specifically at my base in the USAF, I will address those 2:

1 - the only residency here is FP which is increasingly being farmed out to the local university. The residents say they spend maybe 20% of the time at the base clinic and the rest elsewhere. They're glad, but they have a definite battle trying to work they're way in to that community. They have to really work to get OB numbers up. The residency is going to become even more civilian-oriented in the next 5 years. Eventually, I think it will cease altogether.

2 - This is on the continued decline for the next 5 years at my base if the past 2.5 years are any indication. My pt numbers have declined both in the OR and in the clinic. I don't see any chances of it reversing this trend in the foreseeable future.