Future of MpH !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpretty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Got a couple of questions regarding the scope of jobs for MpH or international students in USA. I am a doctor who worked in for CDC in my native country, and after my exposure with the public health at CDC i decided to pursue MPH as my future career. I got admitted to UMN and would graduate this summer. I decided that working here in the USA for a couple of years would further enhance my resume and therefore am looking out for jobs now. I have applied for several positions only to know that those positions are for US citizens only. As you guys must be knowing, international students need a H1B visa to work in USA temporarily and cannot work on F1. Maybe i am missing something but my questions are :
1. What is the scope of jobs in the USA for non residents ?
2. Are there any organizations or companies that would hire MPH graduates and willing to sponsor H1B ? If there are, how do i go about looking for them?
3. Considering the fact that none would sponsor H1B, what are my options now ?

Any feedback/replies would be great and thanks tons in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Dr. Pretty:

My background is exactly same as yours and I have similar objectives. I am an applicant to MPH program for this year. The question you have posed, are the same question I have.
I do not have information of H1B sponsoring job opportunities.
I don't have answer to your question, but did you explore the option of doing Phd while looking for H1 ? I guess, with tution waiver and stipend, atleast you can manage the financial side while gaining knowledge and research experience.

I have got an admit from few places and waiting to hear from Minnesotta, which is my top choice. I would be thankful and surely many others, if you could describe your job search experience and of those in similar situation to you.

Thanks.