Future of Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kundun

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody else interested in ophtho? also what is your opinion on the future of this specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Ophthalmology is a great field combining the ability to practice both medicine and surgery. There are more objectivity with diagnosis in this field than in other areas that I have had a chance to experience. Being interested in technology it allows one to get immersed in many of the instruments for diagnosis. My only reservation is the commercialization of the specialty which has seemed to tarnish the practice into a capitalistic and backbiting specialty. There are four competing ophthalmology practices in my area that covers the airwaves and cable television with infomercials.

In terms of the future, the technologies are improving with additional research. However, there seems to be a surplus in this area which may limit where a person would like to practice.

I am also interested in ophtho. From what I know firsthand, the only real disadvantage is that compensation for many surgeries have gone way down. An eye exam and glasses bring in as much money as a cataract surgery now. But they are still paid just fine compared with other specialties that are not all procedures.

As far as demand, all I have to say is that if you're willing to practice in a rural and/or underserved area, the opportunities are there. I have read more than a few ads for docs in the rural midwest. Kind of nice to fill a need in an underserved area too!

As for future technologies, I got to work on the Phase I of a new drug developed for the eye age related mac degen, but which may have implications in virtually all fields of cancer. It's in Phase III now. All I have to say is: 'hot stock pick!'

Anybody got some good ideas on how to get involved in a clinical eye research program? My school doesn't have a residency. Too bad that 2 highly respected programs are about an hour away!

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing that I was researching was there are ophthalmology pre-residency fellowships involving clinical experience and research. Positions are a year long and look promising.

Things are pretty hot in the field right now, with LASIK surgery they are making mountains of cash (more than any other specialty including plastic surgery or spine surgery @ the moment)

However..... there is approaching a critical mass of optho guys in urban areas with jobs hard to find. Also LASIK will no doubt eventually be absorbed into the third party payer system & their reimbursements will be savaged

Platinumdoc,
Tell me more about these pre-residency fellowships! Are they for people who failed to match the first time around, or are they for the ones who completed a 1yr transitional or something like that.
let me know, thanks!

Check out SFMatch.org

Ophthalmology Pre-Residency Fellowship Positions

Eligibility:
These fellowships do NOT require completion of a residency in ophthalmology. They may be research oriented. If they do not involve direct patient care, they may be open to applicants who do not yet have a license to practice.
How to Apply:
Filled outside the match. Contact programs directly for application criteria if none specified. Applicants must also negotiate directly with the programs to determine eligibility, to be invited for an interview, and to sign a contract.

From the postings that I have seen in the past, you directly apply for these outside of the match. You can apply straight out of medical school or after internship. These positions are 1 year in duration. Keep checking in Late Winter or Early Spring at SFMatch.org to check for these positions.
Good luck.

Sounds to me that the pre-ophtho fellowships are like the post-bac programs for those who did not get into med school? I guess you still would NOT be guaranteed a residency but that it would help your application a lot.