1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Future of oral maxillofacial surgeons?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by 1AO KTG, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 1AO KTG

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Guys how's the future looking for oral maxillofacial surgeons. A lot of people are worried about the future of general sugery, because tooth decay, a large part of general may soon be a thing of the past hoe does omfs compare? Will they have more or less job security than all the other specialties!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lidopaine82

Lidopaine82 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Tooth decay isn't going anywhere.

4. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Neither are late teens and early 20 somethings with wisdom teeth. Then there's the whatever aged folks who for various reason might be missing a tooth (or teeth) and need implants, there's always going to be pathology that needs to be excised, facial traume that needs to be fixed, etc, etc, etc. And I haven't even hit on the world of facial plastic surgery that more and more oral surgeons are getting into these days! :D

The OMFS will be around for a LONG time no if's and's or but's about it!

5. 1AO KTG

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Best information I've read all day:):):):)

6. yappy

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I had a question for an OMFS:

In practice what do you actually do as a percentage of your time or billing (either one).

I understand that an OMFS can do quite a bit once they've completed their residency; however, in practice are they pulling thirds all day? or are they performing alot of different or more complex procedures?

7. Nicekid23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    why don't you just shadow an Oral surgeon, im pretty sure ALL your questions will be answered

8. browncrack

browncrack Flood Damage
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    From what I've seen most of omfs is extractions in different combinations and flavors, iv or la. Plus follow ups and complications. Occasionally a biopsy. Surprisingly, some are booked up months in advance. omfs is a goldmine. Of course, a good GPR with iv certification could set you up to do substantially the same but more marketing would be needed to your referral sources as the world would probably not revolve around you.

9. Maygyver

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wait, what?

10. ramseszerg

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OP = not very smart

11. yappy

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Good idea. I think i'll try this out.

12. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Also, implants. Not all PP OMS do them because not all (older) OMS were trained to.

Funny, I hear this all the time, yet you never actually see people like this in practice. In what situation would a general dentist refer a patient for wizzie extractions under IV sedation to another GP? If they continue to practice general dentistry, there's no way they're getting a lot of referrals. If they limit their practice to oral surgery, what would the impetus be to not refer the patient to a BC/BE OMS?

13. browncrack

browncrack Flood Damage
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good point. I checked with the two people I know who are GPR trained and IV certified. They both do full spectrum of 3m extractions and other odds and ends such as full mouth exts, implants, alveloplasty, etc. They also do the restorations for the implants and overdentures. Some CE is required beyond a GPR to do good restorations on implants but nothing too crazy.

Neither dmd really solicits referrals specifically as they are doing well enough and don't want to push out their schedule too far. Plus, they want to do something other than pull teeth all day. Apparently oral surgeons are booked out several months at times just for the initial appointment. If the patient already came in and is planned to extract, the next appointment is the extraction with the person the patient has already met. However, I could see that not everyone wants to do this style of work.