Future of oral maxillofacial surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1AO KTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys how's the future looking for oral maxillofacial surgeons. A lot of people are worried about the future of general sugery, because tooth decay, a large part of general may soon be a thing of the past hoe does omfs compare? Will they have more or less job security than all the other specialties!

Members don't see this ad.

Guys how's the future looking for oral maxillofacial surgeons. A lot of people are worried about the future of general sugery, because tooth decay, a large part of general may soon be a thing of the past hoe does omfs compare? Will they have more or less job security than all the other specialties!

Tooth decay isn't going anywhere.

Tooth decay isn't going anywhere.

Neither are late teens and early 20 somethings with wisdom teeth. Then there's the whatever aged folks who for various reason might be missing a tooth (or teeth) and need implants, there's always going to be pathology that needs to be excised, facial traume that needs to be fixed, etc, etc, etc. And I haven't even hit on the world of facial plastic surgery that more and more oral surgeons are getting into these days! :D

The OMFS will be around for a LONG time no if's and's or but's about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither are late teens and early 20 somethings with wisdom teeth. Then there's the whatever aged folks who for various reason might be missing a tooth (or teeth) and need implants, there's always going to be pathology that needs to be excised, facial traume that needs to be fixed, etc, etc, etc. And I haven't even hit on the world of facial plastic surgery that more and more oral surgeons are getting into these days! :D

The OMFS will be around for a LONG time no if's and's or but's about it!
Best information I've read all day:):):):)

I had a question for an OMFS:

In practice what do you actually do as a percentage of your time or billing (either one).

I understand that an OMFS can do quite a bit once they've completed their residency; however, in practice are they pulling thirds all day? or are they performing alot of different or more complex procedures?

I had a question for an OMFS:

In practice what do you actually do as a percentage of your time or billing (either one).

I understand that an OMFS can do quite a bit once they've completed their residency; however, in practice are they pulling thirds all day? or are they performing alot of different or more complex procedures?

why don't you just shadow an Oral surgeon, im pretty sure ALL your questions will be answered

From what I've seen most of omfs is extractions in different combinations and flavors, iv or la. Plus follow ups and complications. Occasionally a biopsy. Surprisingly, some are booked up months in advance. omfs is a goldmine. Of course, a good GPR with iv certification could set you up to do substantially the same but more marketing would be needed to your referral sources as the world would probably not revolve around you.

Wait, what?

From what I've seen most of omfs is extractions in different combinations and flavors, iv or la. Plus follow ups and complications. Occasionally a biopsy. Surprisingly, some are booked up months in advance. omfs is a goldmine.

Also, implants. Not all PP OMS do them because not all (older) OMS were trained to.

Of course, a good GPR with iv certification could set you up to do substantially the same but more marketing would be needed to your referral sources as the world would probably not revolve around you.

Funny, I hear this all the time, yet you never actually see people like this in practice. In what situation would a general dentist refer a patient for wizzie extractions under IV sedation to another GP? If they continue to practice general dentistry, there's no way they're getting a lot of referrals. If they limit their practice to oral surgery, what would the impetus be to not refer the patient to a BC/BE OMS?

Good point. I checked with the two people I know who are GPR trained and IV certified. They both do full spectrum of 3m extractions and other odds and ends such as full mouth exts, implants, alveloplasty, etc. They also do the restorations for the implants and overdentures. Some CE is required beyond a GPR to do good restorations on implants but nothing too crazy.

Neither dmd really solicits referrals specifically as they are doing well enough and don't want to push out their schedule too far. Plus, they want to do something other than pull teeth all day. Apparently oral surgeons are booked out several months at times just for the initial appointment. If the patient already came in and is planned to extract, the next appointment is the extraction with the person the patient has already met. However, I could see that not everyone wants to do this style of work.