Future of Osteopathic EM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As Osteopathic programs become acgme accredited, will many of the programs switch to 3 years?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question but I'm not sure that anyone knows the answer to how this is all going to shake out yet.

As Osteopathic programs become acgme accredited, will many of the programs switch to 3 years?
Was told by two PDs in Ohio that they will remain 4 years for the foreseeable future. However, who knows how this will change once things are moving. Changing a program from 3-4 years is a logistic headache since a lot of the DO programs have a rotating internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two reasons I would say the majority won't: the required traditional internship rotations of all AOA residency programs, and the lower volume and acuity at some programs.

Two reasons I would say the majority won't: the required traditional internship rotations of all AOA residency programs, and the lower volume and acuity at some programs.

Have to agree. Changing to three years would mean increasing resident coverage in the ER by 33%. If you had 10 residents in the ER in a 24 hour period, you now have 13-14. Most programs built to have 4 years would see resident experience suffer if they switched to a 3 year system with much higher coverage. The places that wouldn't suffer are probably the 4 year programs that aren't AOA.