Future of Pharmacy - a bit disappointed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2005pharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking to the pharmacist I work with. I asked his opinion about pharmacy, and its future and job outlook/demand. He said that in a few years, there will be computerized machines that will dispense the medications and that they will be used in a widespread manner. Also, doctors will be able to directly send their prescriptions through these machines, enabeling a pharmacy technician to do a very simple check/punch in (without the need for a 4 year degree) and get everything ready. Unfortunately I had to leave immediately yesterday, and didn't get to talk with him more; so this was the note I was left with. I was a bit disappointed in all honesty (flat), thinking about going through all this trouble (4 years of my life, PCAT, money spent on applications, etc, etc) only to end up in a job that is either saturated with "smart" machinary, or even if employed, get paid not enough salary because of this. I need someone who is really well-informed about the future of pharmacy and it outlook to shed some light on this issue. This is a concern of mine :(

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

beaten to death with a stick.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to worry about the future of pharmacy. I have worked at Rite Aid for 2 years and learned a lot about customers. Customers ask a lot of questions when they receive their medication for the first time such as side effects, drug interrecations or can vitamins go with Antibiotics.., etc. Even if they have the machine, you still get a job.

I know it's been said already, but I really don't think anyone in our generation or the next has to worry about job security in the retail field. Even if there were computers that read orders, checked for interactions, had a 100% success rate of catching errors, and dispensed prescriptions, do you really think the vast majority of people will be comfortable with such technology?

I worked at Kroger as a cashier (as in, regular cashier, not pharmacy cashier.) People can't even handle a U-SCAN (self-scanning registers.) Even for that, someone is needed to oversee the process, check for errors, etc. I can't tell you how many times I had to do overrides because the machine weighed something wrong, because a person hit something accidentally and the wrong weight came up (U-SCANs won't proceed unless the scanned item is placed on a scale and matches the database weight), etc. For example, a head of lettuce has the PLU 4061. It also has a barcode on it. For an item like that, the customer has to enter quantity. Often, they'll scan and not notice it, and try to type in the PLU -- oops, now they have 40 heads of lettuce on their order, and can't proceed because there isn't that much weight on the scale. However, if say, a small child or a heavy purse just happens to be placed on the scale when that happens, and the weight is close enough, the order will proceed. It's not as uncommon as anyone would imagine. That's just one stupid, yet common error. Can you imagine how devistating a self-serve pharmacy computer could turn out?

Also from working with the U-SCAN, I've learned that some people realllllly hate computers. I'm sure in say, 200 years from now, that'll change. But I've seen people get so frustrated with the machines that they've ripped off the pin-pads (where the credit cards go) and run out of the store. I've been cursed at, flipped off, etc just because I was the person overseeing the registers... and that'll be just because they can't get their meat to scan, or their peas rang up ten cents high because they didn't scan their store card yet. Can you imagine how angry someone could get if they felt they were being jipped or incorrectly processed somehow when their life could depend on the mistake? Who would they talk to about it? The computer? The grocery clerk? I highly doubt it! They'd probably have to call some sort of central help line, and I'm willing to bet a good portion of people would either forget or ignore their concern if it couldn't be taken care of on the spot.

IMO, retail pharmacy is an extremly stable job. The man you spoke with needs to have some confidence in his position!!!

Anna please sticky this or make this into a part of faq.

kwakster928 said:
Anna please sticky this or make this into a part of faq.

While i think part of the FAQ is a fantastic idea....

does anyone read the FAQ but futurerxgal?

bbmuffin said:
While i think part of the FAQ is a fantastic idea....

does anyone read the FAQ but futurerxgal?

I've gone there on occasion... albeit very infrequently. ;)
But another set of eyes does get over there when I've got a "standard" question. :confused:

Chris

they said computers will take over pharmacist's jobs 10 years ago....and they were WRONG

FutureRXGal's links were very useful and nice; so thanks :) But I don't know what to think now. I would really love to see a thorough case-study type of thing done to this question to predict, to a great degree of certainty, what will happen. And for that, we'll need ALL factors involved in the equation, not just the ability of computers or robots, or the demand/#of old people; but all factors. And then foresee what the net result will be. I read many posts in those links, but each person says something different. My uncle has a been a pharmacist for over 30 years; he says that there will ALWAYS be a great demand for pharmacists. I don't know, but sure hope so. Whenever I think about this issue I get worried and concerned. Just don't want to go through all this hassle for nothing.

Keep the comments coming guys.

2005pharmD said:
FutureRXGal's links were very useful and nice; so thanks :) But I don't know what to think now. I would really love to see a thorough case-study type of thing done to this question to predict, to a great degree of certainty, what will happen. And for that, we'll need ALL factors involved in the equation, not just the ability of computers or robots, or the demand/#of old people; but all factors. And then foresee what the net result will be. I read many posts in those links, but each person says something different. My uncle has a been a pharmacist for over 30 years; he says that there will ALWAYS be a great demand for pharmacists. I don't know, but sure hope so. Whenever I think about this issue I get worried and concerned. Just don't want to go through all this hassle for nothing.

Keep the comments coming guys.
You will never find anything definite

if you want to go into pharmacy soley for money or job security then don't because we don't know what is going to happen and at some point the money will fall off too

there are studies out there but there are many interpretations of each of them

My personal opinion is that current pharmacists are not necessarily in the proper position to make such pharmacy trend predictions. That is not to say they are not knowledgeable in their fields, but pharmacy curriculum has changed very much from the 80's and even the early 90's to a more patient-focused instruction rather than dispensing & chemistry. Also, I feel that nearly all the sterotypes and setbacks of pharmacy are often displayed through the retail setting, often overlooking the various opportunities available in the other side of the profession. Even if filling medication became automated, I don't see how that would really impact the pharmacists job considering that technicians are the ones performing those roles nowadays. Side effects and drug interactions and other important information are relayed by the pharmacist and that SAVES lives. Automation will make the processes easier, but it won't educate the patient on taking medication.

Also, the new trend toward automation is also precipitated by the fact that pharmacists have exploited and misunderstood their current liability. If there had not been so many costly errors and patient lives lost because of some haphazard phamacists, the trend toward having the computer fill the automation movement would not have growth this rapidly. Why do you think pharmacists are paid high wages? 1st: they provide an essential service to society 2nd: LIABILITY (the pharmacists job ranks probably the higest in liability) Why? It's much easier to make a mistake filling a prescription than prescribing...With all the problems pharmacy is facing and the growing number of individuals dying from pharmacist mistakes, it only makes sense for the profession to go in another direction.

I just think that worrying about future pharmacy options is not important because it is YOU that makes opportunity for yourself. Don't rely on society to open jobs and give you opportunities. Try to broaden your understanding of what the pharmacy profession entails through interaction with many pharmacists.

Just FYI:

To all those people who believe that "the public" will defend Pharmacist against Automated Dispensing Machines. Please stop dreaming. The public will do anything if that means its cheaper. I live in NYC and in a few months for the first time the MTA (transit) will REPLACE conductors on trains with a computer :scared: . 5-10 years ago I am sure people would have laughed at the thought but despite the uproar , 4 months it will commence. Automation and anything else that allows businesses to operate cheaper and more efficiently will not and can not be stopped.

J Lucas said:
Just FYI:

To all those people who believe that "the public" will defend Pharmacist against Automated Dispensing Machines. Please stop dreaming. The public will do anything if that means its cheaper. I live in NYC and in a few months for the first time the MTA (transit) will REPLACE conductors on trains with a computer :scared: . 5-10 years ago I am sure people would have laughed at the thought but despite the uproar , 4 months it will commence. Automation and anything else that allows businesses to operate cheaper and more efficiently will not and can not be stopped.
A conductor doesn't have to explain how the train gets to the next station without any adverse effects to the rail or wheels of the train. He also doesn't have any interest in how long the train will last. Comparing a conductor to a pharmacist is just, well, as Michael Jackson says, ignorant and vicious.

Just a quick note, but many pharmacies are deliberately not opting for automation due to prohibative costs. It may seem like a good idea, but many of these machines are quite expensive and are basically immediately obsolete due to changing technology. In addition, we are already beginning to see a shift in tailor made drugs as genomics becomes a factor. While there will undoubtedly be increases in automation, the huge projected increase in demand coupled with the shortfall in projected graduating pharmacists will likely keep pharmacists in demand for quite some time. Not to mention the vast array of jobs available to pharmacists outside the retail/clinical settings. I could go on and on I suppose but I need some sleep :(

Betty'sBeast said:
A conductor doesn't have to explain how the train gets to the next station without any adverse effects to the rail or wheels of the train. He also doesn't have any interest in how long the train will last. Comparing a conductor to a pharmacist is just, well, as Michael Jackson says, ignorant and vicious.

Who compared a conductor to a Pharmacist? Please show me because I can not find anyone who did that. No, conductors do not have to explain" how to get to the next station without any adverse effects..." He is responsible for making sure your arm isnt stuck in the door as the train pulls out the station. Or if there is an emergency he is one of the only people who will actually know what do in an underground tunnel. My point was that the public will not prevent a profession from being eliminated if its cheaper for them in the long run.