Future of the AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

durak

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

So the real question out there for us osteopaths is this - how long will it take the AOA and the AMA to come together in some type of joint organization? it's not secret that over the past 100 years, osteopathic medicine has moved significantly in the direction of allopathic medicine (although by no means completely), and that the AMA world has concurrently become much more accepting of osteopathic medicine and practices. Personally, I foresee the day in the not-to-distant future (several decades, perhaps) when both the AOA and the AMA will put aside their philisophical differences and realize the power of merging these two institutions.

From my experience there are 3 types of osteopathic physicians. 1) the hardcore, AT Still type osteopath who desires at all costs to maintain the seperate identity of osteopathic medicine; 2) those who are willing to merge osteopathic and allopathic philosophies in order to advance knowledge of medicine and best practices; and sadly, 3) those who went to osteopathic school because they just wanted a medical degree and who do not acknowledge some of the tenets of osteopathy. The ratio of these doctors, in my opinion, would be in the ballpark of 1-15%, 2-75%, and 3-10%. If this is anywhere near correct, is it any stretch of the imagination to see that a vast majority of osteopaths would welcome such a partnership with the allopathic world? For better or for worse, I would surmise that a large percentage of the AOA administration is staffed by those who fall into category 1 and would like to keep the AOA a seperate but equal entity forever. But as the demographics in the administration begin to change, I think we will see more cooperation betweent he two institutions. (There must necessarily be a similar change in attitude amongst our AMA friends, no doubt.)

As a current student of osteopathy, I am of the opinion that a merge between the two philophies would do a tremendous amount for the advancement of medicine. I believe that osteopathy has much to give to the AMA world, and likewise, I feel that allopathic medicine has a lot to offer osteopathy. Imagine the synergism of two great organizations sharing their knowledge and resources and the impact it could have on our society!

As I stated earlier, I believe this change is not far off. Who will be with me to promote this partnership?

Members don't see this ad.

if I remember correctly, someone can find and post the actual thread, but I remember reading something about the AMA would want the AOA to come in as a group much like the ACEP, or ACP, or those other "physician specialty groups"... it wouldn't be as much of a merge, as a buyout by the AMA. but this has definetly been discussed at length before... I also don't ever see the "old guard" standing for it in the near future. Maybe the time all of us are getting ready to retire, but not untill a good portion of the "old" osteopaths are chattin it up with Still himself. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
durak said:
Imagine the synergism of two great organizations sharing their knowledge and resources and the impact it could have on our society!

As I stated earlier, I believe this change is not far off. Who will be with me to promote this partnership?

Sorry, but you're late. That synergy and collaboration has been happening for a long time. MDs teach at DO schools, DOs teach at MD schools, both MDs and DOs collaborate on research and publish papers together, MDs are welcome to learn OMT at the AAO, allopathic residencies are open to DOs and DOs are welcome in allopathic organizations.

There's no need to merge the two organizations/professions in order to collaborate together. It's like the US and Europe helping each other in exchange of students for education, trade, and military alliances. No need to merge the US with Europe and form one single nation. We can be a separate profession with our own organization and still collaborate with the AMA.

durak said:
All,

So the real question out there for us osteopaths is this - how long will it take the AOA and the AMA to come together in some type of joint organization? it's not secret that over the past 100 years, osteopathic medicine has moved significantly in the direction of allopathic medicine (although by no means completely)...

OK, before we go on: Assuming you're not a troll, you need to read this book: ISBN 094354906X
Search for it on whatever your favorite bookseller is (although it is hard to find). You will realize that actually the AMA and the AOA have both moved significantly toward each other, but Osteopathy helped to pioneer in many things that Allopathy now takes credit for.
HTH