Future Pedo Resident taking the Florda Boards..ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jal77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to be heading down to Florida to attend a pediatric post grad residency this July 2009. I plan on taking the Florida Boards in June 2009 but heard it's recommended that I take a prep class before sitting for the exam.

1. Any thoughts on this?

2. The prep course is ridiculously expensive..anyone know which one is the best?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying there this year, since my parents live in Fort Lauderdale. Do you have to take the Florida boards??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying there this year, since my parents live in Fort Lauderdale. Do you have to take the Florida boards??

No you don't have to take the Florida boards...but if you want to practice on the weekends you do.

Good to know, I'm from FL, but went to school at UofT, thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not much help. I've heard the Fl boards are brutal though, in terms of the actual exam as well as the pass rate. Are they made difficult to purposely keep the influx of dentists low?

I can let you know that in November the FL board changed it's exam format It's administered by the NERB and upon passing (in Florida) you can request NERB status to practice in other states. The FL Board is quick to say that it is the Florida Board and not the NERB, but it's pretty much an extact copy of the NERB. You can not however take the NERB outside of Florida and then request licensure in Florida.

Having lived in Florida and graduating from dental school in May from Florida, I'm not sure how long the board will be able to keep their stance. Especially now that other states will accept the Florida Board (in the new format that began in November 08) for licensure.