future plans in update letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Str8Baller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've committed to a volunteering program this summer and am wondering if it is fair game to put on an update letter. Will this "update" make any difference (don't have that much volunteering on my app) or will it just be completely disregarded because it is discussing future plans as opposed to past experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

I've committed to a volunteering program this summer and am wondering if it is fair game to put on an update letter. Will this "update" make any difference (don't have that much volunteering on my app) or will it just be completely disregarded because it is discussing future plans as opposed to past experiences.
Why not wait two to three months before submitting the update letter so you have some hours of involvement to report? Adcomms know that plans made with the best of intentions can go awry due to life events, so a potential activity won't have much impact.

Some Secondaries do ask about future plans, and they would be fair game for Experiences yet to start.

Why not wait two to three months before submitting the update letter so you have some hours of involvement to report? Adcomms know that plans made with the best of intentions can go awry due to life events, so a potential activity won't have much impact.

Some Secondaries do ask about future plans, and they would be fair game for Experiences yet to start.

Sorry...to clarify, these letters are being sent to schools which I am wait listed at. In a few months it will be too late to update them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh. Sorry I misunderstood. Why not just give an update on all the other activities you're still involved in, along with a statement of continued interest in their program, and maybe why it's perfect for you? A spring grade report could be included as well (if you're not on the quarter system).

i feel like that would be a weak update. they want to know what notable things you have done already, not what you may or may not be doing later on