Future Pre-med looking for right program in Chicago.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Presadog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just a few days left and I ets (exit the service) the military. I was talking to a post education counselor today and he asked what school I would like to attend when I get out. I told him Loyola University is my first choice. He said my Veterans benefits are might not cover a private school like Loyola. That kind of made me think the only ones I can consider are Chicago state and UIC. Does anyone know anything about these pre-med programs. Especially UIC's GPPA Pre-med program. I want to stay in the city but might also be willing to venture to say NIU or EIU. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I have a couple friends in GPPA at UIC. One is in his last year of undergrad and the other is in her first year of med school. They both like the program for the most part. I don't know that much about it except that you have to take the MCAT and score at least a 30 to go straight to their med school. If you score below, you have to take some sort of extra (summer?) course before beginning. If you have other questions or want to just talk with someone in the program, I can get them in touch with you. Just let me know!

I attend UIC and there's plenty of GPPA students here. You can't just enter the GPPA program, there's very high prerequisites to get in, I'm guessing a certain class rank and 1450+ or 33+ on the SAT/ACT, and then you must go through an interview. From there you are guaranteed admission to UIC Medical School. That thing about the 30 MCAT is correct, if you score below, you go through the prematriculation 6 week program into UIC Medical School... but otherwise, even attending UIC for premed (not GPPA) is fine, you'll have your choice in medicals schools provided you have a good GPA and good MCAT.