FY 2014-1015 CWSL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

375RGRRGT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear there is a new CWSL for the Services out there and that there are lots of changes - particularly for the Army National Guard. This would affect STRAP recipients etc I believe.

Has anyone else heard anything? I am looking for info but found little. State Surgeon brought it up today and mentioned he would facilitate our transition to the Reserves if we so choose. Left with nothing else to say.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear there is a new CWSL for the Services out there and that there are lots of changes - particularly for the Army National Guard. This would affect STRAP recipients etc I believe.
I haven't seen the new list. Hopefully someone will post it.

I'm not sure how big an impact it will have. STRAP isn't limited to the specialties on the list. The only limit I can see, is if you take MDSSP followed by STRAP, the special deal where your MDSSP obligation is converted to 1:1 payback requires your specialty to be CWSL.
Has anyone else heard anything? I am looking for info but found little. State Surgeon brought it up today and mentioned he would facilitate our transition to the Reserves if we so choose.
I've heard nada and it sounds weird. STRAP and the like has been around a lot longer than the CWSL. The whole idea of CWSL was to create a subset of specialties OIF/OEF put in particularly short supply, it's not a recruiting list.

Anyone of a specialty that was on the CWSL can just fill an available BS slot. I cant think of a scenario in which anyone would have to transfer to Reserve unless the MDSSP/STRAP thing. Folks make the switch if they are RADS, anesthesia and the like all the time, but these were never in the Guard CWSL anyway.

I have a hunch something weird is going on in your state (overmanned on docs??) or your SS is overstating this. Keep us posted.

Found this today - what do you make of it?

Attachments

• FY 14 15 CSS List.pdf
    518.8 KB · Views: 8
Members don't see this ad :)
Found this today - what do you make of it?
The 2014/2015 list is limited to Field Surgeon (62B), Flight Surgeon (61N), and Psychiatrist (60W) for the Guard. That's identical to the last list (2012/2013).

That fits the Guard. It may vary from state to state, but I live in a big one and even here, these are pretty much the only slots you have for docs in the Guard. It's been that way for a long time when the Guard began focused on combat arms and the Reserve focused on support. The Guard's docs take care of unit soldiers and act as augmentees. We don't run CSHs and the like. That's a Reserve function.

The reason the Guard has all kinds of docs is that almost anyone can fill the 62B or 61N slots. The only specialties excluded are Anesthesia, Rads/NucMed, Pathology. This is the way it's been for a long time. The only folks who run into problems are those in gas, rads, or path. Folks who join in med school and end up in those fields in residency get switched to the Reserve.

So I don't make much of this. It's no different from how we've been operating for the past few years. Unless you're one of those three specialties, you can still fill the slots you were able to fill before. No changes.

Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
I was kind of caught off guard with the fact that 61F (internal medicine) was added to the list of those ineligible to fill field surgeon positions

I see what you're saying. That's new. And weird.