FYI -- Anyone interviewing at Drexel this week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlw2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you know, there's a nurses' strike called for Tuesday Nov 11th. Unless there's a last minute settlement, they will be picketing MCP hospital (where the Dept of EM is located). They moved med students to other hospitals in preparation for it. It will give you something to talk about in your interview at least. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hospitals don't shut down for federal holidays.

And lots of medical schools (state even) and colleges don't give time off for federal holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mylaina
Hospitals don't shut down for federal holidays.

And lots of medical schools (state even) and colleges don't give time off for federal holidays.

It depends on what is being done. ER's stay open; many offices, clinics, or elective procedures will not be. Floor programs (like IM or surgery), if they do follow the holiday, will be on a holiday schedule (which is a weekend schedule).

Moreover, to say "lots of medical schools and colleges don't give time off for federal holidays" is VERY general. Once again, if it is clinical duties, people will be working. If it is a clinic proper, chances are good it will be closed. Depending on the holiday, buses might be on a holiday schedule, severely curtailing how your patients get there. Also, if there are any ancillary staff, in med school or college, if they have the day off from work by contract, it is often very difficult to have a normal day's work.

I don't know what you were aiming at with your simplistic response. For this specific question, it would be prudent to determine if they did indeed interview on Veteran's Day. Otherwise, you have to be MUCH more specific. As a paramedic/firefighter. a med student, an IM resident, and an EM resident, when I had to work, holiday or not, I did. When I got the day off for it, I took it.

In my experience, on a lot of federal holidays, everything at the university is open and people are working. Having gone to a large undergraduate university, I didn't know if everyone was working or not, but here at Drexel, everyone that is usually there day to day is there on federal holidays. Most of my friends echoed the same (We are always hoping to have an extra day of no class).

And re: the hospitals closing down. A lot of emphasis here at Drexel has been placed on the ER and trauma centers losing their nursing staff.... and as far as I knew, they are open all the time, and I don't know if there is a holiday schedule since I'm not in the clinical years yet.

Yes, the rumors are true... we're having a little nurses strike at one of our five hospitals. Contract negotiations did not go as planned, apparently. However, this too will pass. The ED's are still up and running, but MCP is currently closed to trauma. NOONE anticipates this lasting for very long - these things never do. In any case, don't let a few picketers scare you away from Drexel - everything will be resolved, and I still think we get the best clinical exposure in the city!