G.C. Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwcardman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Opening myself up for some abuse here, but what the heck:

(From Topscore)

What volume of HCl was added if 20mL of 1.0M NaOH was titrated with 1.0M HCl to produce a pH=2?

a) 10.2 mL
b) 20.0 mL
c) 30.4 mL
d) 35.5 mL
e) none of these

ANSWER: e

It's obviously over 20 mL, but how far? What am I missing?

Members don't see this ad.

dwcardman said:
Opening myself up for some abuse here, but what the heck:

(From Topscore)

What volume of HCl was added if 20mL of 1.0M NaOH was titrated with 1.0M HCl to produce a pH=2?

a) 10.2 mL
b) 20.0 mL
c) 30.4 mL
d) 35.5 mL
e) none of these

ANSWER: e

It's obviously over 20 mL, but how far? What am I missing?

V = Volume
pH = 2
-log [H+] = 2
[H+] = 10 ^ -2

(V * 1.0 M HCl) - (20 * 1.0 M OH-)
---------------------------------- = 10^-2
V + 20

V - 20
------- = 10 ^ -2
V + 20

0.99 V = 20.2

V = ~20.4 mL

Members don't see this ad :)
allstardentist said:
its 20.4 ml. A sign is wrong in the above explanation. it should be 1.0xV + 20 x 1.0M...

i double checked my math. It's right. :)

"1.0xV + 20 x 1.0M" makes no sense. You need to subtract the # of moles of the base from the # of moles of the acid & then divide by the total volume :)

didnt u have 20.2 before or i saw it wrong? we set up our equations differently, i set the V as the additional volume needed and also the numbers are different. my fault.

allstardentist said:
didnt u have 20.2 before or i saw it wrong? we set up our equations differently, i set the V as the additional volume needed and also the numbers are different. my fault.

no, 20.4. You can only get 20.4 with the following equation: :)

V - 20
------- = 10 ^ -2
V + 20

haha u wanna bet? ... try this...
(1V + 10^-7)/(V+40) = 10^-2

and see what u get... where v is the additional volume needed after the it reached pH 7. i know ur way might be simpler but i just did this by intuition.

allstardentist said:
haha u wanna bet? ... try this...
(1V + 10^-7)/(V+40) = 10^-2

and see what u get... where v is the additional volume needed after the it reached pH 7. i know ur way might be simpler but i just did this by intuition.

Why do you add 10^-7 to V ????!!!! :confused:

because i did this problem in 2 two steps. first step was to add 20 ml to get to ph=7 and then from there, i calculated how much hcl you need to get from ph=7 to ph=2. thats how i did it

allstardentist said:
because i did this problem in 2 two steps. first step was to add 20 ml to get to ph=7 and then from there, i calculated how much hcl you need to get from ph=7 to ph=2. thats how i did it

"the 10^-7 part" makes no sense to me. If you want to do it in 2 steps you should use the following equation instead:

(1V)/(V+40) = 10^-2

(i.e. (1V )/( (V+20) + 20) = 10^-2)

That gives you V = 0.4

and then you simply have to add 20 to 0.4 to get 20.4

allstardentist said:
dat student, do u go to ucla undergrad or ucla dental school alrdy, or you want to go to ucla dental school?

UCLA School of Dentistry Class of 2010 :) I got in Dec of last yr :)

oh i forgot to multiply by 40ml(.040L) to 10^-7. but anyways, you have to add that because at that point the solution is neutral(pH=7). So there is 10^-7(.040) moles of H+ in the solution.

Thats great, im an UCLA undergrad and UCLA is my dream school. hopefully i can get in but we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
allstardentist said:
but yeah still get the same answer either way cuz 10^-7 is really small, doesnt affect the answer much.

true but you can't add it just because it won't affect it much.

(1V)/(V+40) = 10^-2

or

(1V)/((V+20) + 20) = 10^-2

means

(moles of H+ left) divided by the total volume = concentration of 10^-2 M

V+20 is the volume of H+
20 is the volume of OH-

UCLA is a great school. I went to a party school for my other degrees. :) I partied too much. I'll probably have a hard time adapting to the UCLA lifestyle ;)

im not saying that... im saying 10^-7 and 10^-7x40ml arent much different since its so small. you have to add 10^-7x40ml term to be truly correct because according to ur equation there is no H+ moles in the solution at ph=7 which is not true. you have to consider the number H+ moles there are at ph=7.

Although i hear ucla dental school is tough, you should be able to handle it..

allstardentist said:
im not saying that... im saying 10^-7 and 10^-7x40ml arent much different since its so small. you have to add 10^-7x40ml term to be truly correct because according to ur equation there is no H+ moles in the solution at ph=7 which is not true. you have to consider the number H+ moles there are at ph=7.

my 2nd equation is for pH = 2 (i.e. conc. = 10^-2) NOT pH = 7. At pH = 7, we have no extra H+

allstardentist said:
Although i hear ucla dental school is tough, you should be able to handle it..

I'll do my best

why is solution pH =7? its because at ph =7, the concentration of H+ in the solution is 10^-7M. This means that 40 ml of solution will have (10^-7M*40ml) moles of H+. Maybe u dont understand what i did exactly,

#of moles of H+ at ph=7 in the solution-> (10^-7Mx40ml) + (1MxV)<-#of H+ that will be added ------------------------
V + 40 <- u know that

that term equals 10^-2M

allstardentist said:
why is solution pH =7? its because at ph =7, the concentration of H+ in the solution is 10^-7M. This means that 40 ml of solution will have (10^-7M*40ml) moles of H+. Maybe u dont understand what i did exactly,

#of moles of H+ at ph=7 in the solution-> (10^-7Mx40ml) + (1MxV)<-#of H+ that will be added ------------------------
V + 40 <- u know that

that term equals 1.2M

Do we also have this many moles of OH- in the neutral solution: 10^-7 * 40 ml? (i.e. pOH = 7 too) If we do doesn't that cancel 10^-7 * 40 ml H+. I think we need to find the extra H+ right?

You're right that there is 10^-7x40 ml of OH- in the solution. but you cant say they cancel out because equal number are present. ph=7 means that there are (10^-7x40ml) are dissociated (and same as for OH- as a result). So we need to include it. That's what i think. Does the topscore have your explanation? cuz ihavent taken topscore yet.

allstardentist said:
You're right that there is 10^-7x40 ml of OH- in the solution. but you cant say they cancel out because equal number are present. ph=7 means that there are (10^-7x40ml) are dissociated (and same as for OH- as a result). So we need to include it. That's what i think. Does the topscore have your explanation? cuz ihavent taken topscore yet.

I don't have topscore. Now, I think you are absolutely right. We usually ignore 10^-7 because it's usually a small number (relatively). In this case (and most other cases), 10^-7 doesn't affect the final answer much but technically & scientifically you're right. Thanks for the explanation. ;)

Here is an interesting problem:

We add 10^-8 moles of H+ to 1 L solution. What is the pH? (assuming volume stays at 1 L)

assuming the 1L solution is at ph=7, then the pH of the new solution would be -log (10^-7+10^-8)/1. if theres some trick to it, this would probably be wrong.

allstardentist said:
assuming the 1L solution is at ph=7, then the pH of the new solution would be -log (10^-7+10^-8)/1. if theres some trick to it, this would probably be wrong.

:thumbup:

C1V1=C2V2 C=[] V=Volume.

AT pH=7: C1=10e-7 V=40mL
AT pH=2: C2=10e-2 V=X (20+x actually, just add 20 to x will suffice).

Therefore, (10e-7)(40)=(.01)(x)

4e-6 = .01x

(4x10^-6)/(.01) = 4e4 = .0004L = .4mL = x

20mL+.4mL = total volume of HCl added = 20.4mL

Thats wonderful, but I goofed: Started with mL, ended with L... somehow Im off by 1k, any clue where?

We can also deduce that since it only takes .4 mL of HCl to drop the pH to 2 after reaching the isoelectric point at pH 7, the principle of a strong base titrated with strong acid. You know should know that it doesn't take much to lower the pH drastically after the isoelectric point is reached.

FG16_06-01UN.JPG