G-chem question----->Molecular geometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imanm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the molecular geometry of Iodine in IF4-????

Members don't see this ad.

IF4- has 5 electron domains (1 lone pair of e-'s) or sp3d hybridization. Electron domain geometry will be trigonal bipyramidal. Since it is attached to 4 atoms and has one lone pair its molecular geometry is See-saw.

IF4- has 5 electron domains (1 lone pair of e-'s) or sp3d hybridization. Electron domain geometry will be trigonal bipyramidal. Since it is attached to 4 atoms and has one lone pair its molecular geometry is See-saw.
thank you Jia.
ok great thats what I thought but the anwer key says its Octahedral so I got confused. can anyone else confirm see-saw just because I am OCDing.
Thank you

hmm.. IF4- have 6 domain (4 bonded to fluorine and 2 lone pairs of e-s) total 36 es-

so it will have square planar shape specifically... or it has sp3d2 conf. so octahedral, if given will be correct answer choice also

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm.. IF4- have 6 domain (4 bonded to fluorine and 2 lone pairs of e-s) total 36 es-

so it will have square planar shape specifically... or it has sp3d2 conf. so octahedral, if given will be correct answer choice also

correct!:thumbup:

nainaaz is correct. I calculated incorrectly. The calculations should be 7*5 = 35 valence electrons + 1 negative charge = 36 - 8 bonded electrons = 28 - 6(4) lone pairs e-'s on the 4F's = 4 and that should give you 2 lone pair of electrons on I.

The electron domain geometry is octahedral but the molecular geometry is square planar.

Yup this is definitely square planar for molecular geometry and octahedral for electron domain geometry but they almost never ask for the electron domain geometry. Its always good to keep an eye out for when they do ask about either cause it is different when you have lone pairs.