G-chem, units, and transferability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want anyone's opinion on this, specially those who might have similiar experiences. I've been taking my g-chem at an accredited college which has offered the courses in a shorter amount of time. It turns out that the units, however, for each course is only 3 units. Generally, for g-chem the units are either 4 or 5. As you can imagine I was a bit reluctant to start the program because of the shortage of units. I contacted my university and they said they would accept the units. My concern is whether med school will accept the units. I did some research and many med schools ask for a minimum of 8 units for G-chem, which makes me 2 units short. I contacted the program and they offer 2 additional units as independent study units. I asked them if it would show up on my transcript as independent study or what. They said they would show up as independent study but that for the most part it wouldn't make a difference when applying to med school, but that every school was different. Here is my question. Should I be concerned about this or just continue to get good grades, ec's, etc?

Thanks

Sorry for the long post.

Student247

Members don't see this ad.