• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

G chem.

About the Ads

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2007
SO/NOR-CAL
  1. Pre-Dental
    assuming this is a weak monoprotic acid, the concentration of H+ in the solution is going to be equal to the concentration of the conjugate base. Therefore, it should be 10^-2.7 which is close to 2 * 10^-3.
    I would pick B.

you mean C harry, 2x10^-3 is answer choice C...

I actually agree with you, because the dissociation assuming its a monoprotic acid like you said will make up H+ and the conjugate base, therefore the H+ concentration should equal the conjugate base concentration...

harrygt

10+ Year Member
    Jun 16, 2008
    LA
    1. Pre-Dental

I actually agree with you, because the dissociation assuming its a monoprotic acid like you said will make up H+ and the conjugate base, therefore the H+ concentration should equal the conjugate base concentration...

Yeah, I meant choice C. Sorry about that. It was just a typo. Danny, you mean the answer is not C?

HoangDDS

10+ Year Member
      Apr 20, 2008
      San Jose
      1. Pre-Dental

if the PH of the weak acid is 2.7, then the [H+] = 2 x 10^-3M , but I dont understand why that would equal the conjugate base?

About the Ads

harrygt

10+ Year Member
        Jun 16, 2008
        LA
        1. Pre-Dental
          Harry,would tell me so when do we use Henderson-Hasselbach Equation.I'm very confuse about this subject?

We could have used Henderson-... if we had the pka of the acid.

PH - pka = log A-/HA

This is really simple. if 1 mole of 10 moles of HA dissociates, you will have 1 mole of H+ and 1 mol of A-. concentration of H+ and A- will be the same.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.