"G P" terms ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I am a bit confused about these terms- I know I look really stupid from your eyes..but I really am not clear about how to describe correctly.

Am I right in saying Gravida- means total no of fetuses in the tummy, doesnt matter how far they last: Para- means having a live baby out.

For eg if I am pregnant for the 4 th time now, had 2 miscarriages before, and have one 3 yr old kid, then I would be G4 P1
( or G4 P3 ???)

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Gravida is the # of times pregnant, para is the outcome. You usually report para (at least in your obstetrics rotation as four #s), the mneumonic being TPAL: total deliveries, premies, abortions, living children.

So in short hand, a G 1 P 2 lady had twins.

G 1 P 2 1 0 2 had twins, one premature.

I think I'm explaining it to you correctly without f'ing it up---I'm kind of tired.

mike

So you are saying Para (tot) includes everything, So would tot para is Gravida-1 ? I am not confusing anybody, am I ??

Members don't see this ad :)
Gravida is the # of pregnancies. If the person is currently pregnant, then gravida should be 1 + the total parity. A currently pregnant woman, on her second pregnancy, full term both, child not killed in a car accident, is G 2 P 1 0 0 1

mike

Mike did a good job with his explanation but to reinforce what he is saying.

It goes Gravida# Para# # # #
Gravida is a single number: the number of times they have ever been pregnant including the present if pregnant now.

Para: Is the number of babies delivered.
In Ob: it is split into 4 numbers: Full term, preterm, Abortions-elective or spontaneous and total children living at present.

Example G4 P2 1 1 3
Is a female, not pregnant at present with 2 full term deliveries, 1 premie and 1 abortion with 3 living children.

2nd example
G1 P2 0 0 2 Is a lady not pregnant now, who had full term twins.

3rd example
G8 P1 1 5 2 = female with 7 previous pregnancies, pregnant now, and h/o 5 abortions (spontaneous or elective) and a full term delivery and a premature delivery, with 2 living children.

A primagravid is a G1 P0 0 0 0; Multigravid is G2, G3 etc. with previous deliveries or abortions.

Mike did a good job with his explanation but to reinforce what he is saying.

It goes Gravida# Para# # # #
Gravida is a single number: the number of times they have ever been pregnant including the present if pregnant now.

Para: Is the number of babies delivered.
In Ob: it is split into 4 numbers: Full term, preterm, Abortions-elective or spontaneous and total children living at present.

Example G4 P2 1 1 3
Is a female, not pregnant at present with 2 full term deliveries, 1 premie and 1 abortion with 3 living children.

2nd example

3rd example
G8 P1 1 5 2 = female with 7 previous pregnancies, pregnant now, and h/o 5 abortions (spontaneous or elective) and a full term delivery and a premature delivery, with 2 living children.

A primagravid is a G1 P0 0 0 0; Multigravid is G2, G3 etc. with previous deliveries or abortions.

I am trying to understand what Gs and Ps refer to, but there seem to be some mistakes in the above couple of posts. According to my Blueprints, the TPAL is "term and preterm deliveries, number of abortuses, and number of living children. A multiple gestation is ONE delivery," and it gives an example of a woman who has given birth to one set of preterm twins, one term infant, and with two miscarriages, as G4 P1 1 2 3. This means that in the 2nd example above, the lady should be G1 P1 0 0 2, right? Also, in Mike's post above he says T is for total deliveries, but the T is for total term deliveries right?

For the shorthand, does P just mean the number of deliveries after 20 weeks, and not not the number of children born, so a person with 1 pregnancy and 2 twins who is not pregnant now would be G1 P1?

For the shorthand, does P just mean the number of deliveries after 20 weeks, and not the number of children born, so a person with 1 pregnancy and 2 twins who is not pregnant now would be G1 P1?

Yes.

"TPAL is "term and preterm deliveries, number of abortuses, and number of living children. A multiple gestation is ONE delivery," and it gives an example of a woman who has given birth to one set of preterm twins, one term infant, and with two miscarriages, as G4 P1 1 2 3. This means that in the 2nd example above, the lady should be G1 P1 0 0 2, right? "

This is correct...I was actually corrected on this very point during rounds during my sub-i. Multiple gestations count as ONE delivery. The only place in the P where children vs. deliveries are counted is in the fourth spot...number of living children. I see this as one flaw in the system because if you had a multiple gestation where some but not all of the children lived, you would have no way of knowing from the GP system that it was a multiple gestation...unless there is some other system I am not aware of.

2nd example

Actually, that should be G1P1002 - it was only one full term DELIVERY with two live children. If people are using the shorthand (G1P2) they are using the live children to denotate twins. I know it's annoying and confusing, but you get used to it.

also, the L of TPAL refers to children that lived beyond the neonatal period, not currently living children...an example is a 60 year old woman that was pregnant twice, and had two term children is still G2P2002 if one of the children dies in a car wreck at age 30

Actually, that should be G1P1002 - it was only one full term DELIVERY with two live children. If people are using the shorthand (G1P2) they are using the live children to denotate twins. I know it's annoying and confusing, but you get used to it.

so if people are using the shorthand P with just one number should that number be (a) the number of living children or (b) the number of deliveries after 20 weeks (so T+P)?

is a woman who had twins and no other pregnancies a G1P1 or a G1P2?

so if people are using the shorthand P with just one number should that number be (a) the number of living children or (b) the number of deliveries after 20 weeks (so T+P)?

is a woman who had twins and no other pregnancies a G1P1 or a G1P2?

G1P1

Hi there

I am a bit confused about these terms- I know I look really stupid from your eyes..but I really am not clear about how to describe correctly.

Am I right in saying Gravida- means total no of fetuses in the tummy, doesnt matter how far they last: Para- means having a live baby out.

For eg if I am pregnant for the 4 th time now, had 2 miscarriages before, and have one 3 yr old kid, then I would be G4 P1
( or G4 P3 ???)

Thanks in advance