This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phobee144

Reaction score
I've been searching the law for hours, so has a friend of mine, for the answer to this question. Only to come up with multiple different answers and the law to be so confusing. I'm hoping a GA pharmacist or someone can help me.
When exactly is an NPI needed on the prescription????

According to GA R&R 480-10-.15 you generally need the patient's full name and address, prescriber's full name and address (and dea if CS), date of issue, name strength dosage form and quantity of drug, directions, refills, prescriber signature and the serial number of the drug. Nothing about NPI.

Same with Title 16-13-74.

But once you get to 480-27-.02 it shows NPI, and says after "Electronically transmitted prescription drug orders shall contain all information required for written prescriptions above" meaning that NPI should also be including normally???? I'm SO confused. I also know that NPI should be included in APRN and PAs according to most of the laws I've seen.
Also with Title 26-4-80 it doesn't say anything about the NPI for electronic prescriptions.

Could anyone clear this up for me please?? I know that the GA MPJE is really picky on RX requirements and I need to know this.

Members don't see this ad.