GA resident BCPM: 3.25 Total: 3.28 Mcat: 27M(9-9-9)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javed13

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCPM: 3.25
Total: 3.28
Mcat: 27M(9-9-9)

Work in administration at a family practice for 2 years.
volunteered at a research lab at MCG doing reserach in genetics of puberty diseases.
Youth group counselor for the last 2 years.
Very minimal shadowing (because of work schedule)

What do you think? do I atleast have a shot at some D.O. schools?

Members don't see this ad.

You could definitely get in somewhere DO if you're committed and are knowledgeable about the field. You have a chance for MD, but especially if you're a URM or have extenuating life circumstances or the research was really worthwhile.

Members don't see this ad :)
The great thing is that your MCAT is balanced, which will go a long way. You have a chance.

Look into GA PCOM. I am afraid Mercer would be your only allo chance, and even then would be a long shot.

BCPM: 3.25
Total: 3.28
Mcat: 27M(9-9-9)

Work in administration at a family practice for 2 years.
volunteered at a research lab at MCG doing reserach in genetics of puberty diseases.
Youth group counselor for the last 2 years.
Very minimal shadowing (because of work schedule)

What do you think? do I atleast have a shot at some D.O. schools?

Good DO candidate. Your gpa is actually a bit under DO averages (they are usually 3.3 science, 3.4 cum) but the MCAT is right on, if not a little over what you would need (plus the balance is obviously solid). Another thing about DO schools is that they really take into account ECs, LORs, etc (not to say that MD schools don't) and evaluate candidates a little bit differently, meaning that with your ECs + scores you would do well. I'd at least apply to instate MD schools too.

Everyone,
Thanks so much for the input. It gives me a good idea of what I can shoot for.

I wanted to take the MCAT again this summer because last year I took it 2 weeks after I finished a condensed Bio 1 & 2 course over the summer, but I didn't get a chance because I just got married last month. Maybe I can take it one of the first test dates next year to try and strengthen my application.

My unofficial AACOMAS science GPA is higher (3.43). I don't know what they're counting that AMCAS isn't. My overall is .01 lower (3.27).

I had applied allo last year and got wait listed at MCG. I'm really hoping I can get in at PCOM in Atlanta.

Once again, thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
get your aacomas in, have your secondary filled out, and make sure all your paperwork gets in the office and you should be fine to get into ga-pcom.

i think if u can do it! my suggestions would be (1) get in some more shadowing (2) maybe take classes at a local comm college and boost up ure gpa. I think you would be a great candidate for mercer edp if try again next yr (i had a friend that got in with a 24 but his gpa was higher). pcom would be great too. good luck with the process and congrats on the wedding!