gadgets and technology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njmedstudent87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finally MS III and its time for me to decide what specialty I want to pursue. I've done fairly well in school so I don't think I am limited to anything.

I am a huge technology fan and a gadget geek- what kind of specialty do you guys think would make use of high end technology in the upcoming years?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm finally MS III and its time for me to decide what specialty I want to pursue. I've done fairly well in school so I don't think I am limited to anything.

I am a huge technology fan and a gadget geek- what kind of specialty do you guys think would make use of high end technology in the upcoming years?

Unfortunately, your board score(s) will be the factor that limits your specialty options, but if you did well in classes, I am sure your scores will be good as well.

Many fields aren't really doing anything new tech-wise. Besides a PDA or smart phone, many non-procedural specialties tend to shun technology.
For example: FM, IM, Peds, Derm, EM (except for greater expansion of US use), and Anesthesia (the core of their practice is pretty much established).

Then there are the obvious tech dependent specialties: Radiology, Rad Onc, specialties that perform endovascular or percutaneous procedures (such as IR, neuro interventionalist, cards interventionalist, EP), and robotic assisted surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesiology:
Lots of cool gadgets, opportunities to invent better equipment for procedures

Many that focus on intervention, such as:

interventional cardiology
cardiac electrophysiology
GI - endoscopy

as well as all the surgical specialities that are looking at using minimally-invasive methods.