Gainesville OMFS Overview The Real Deal.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xigris14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This note is comming from a recent resident of the Gainesville OMFS program. I have read certain posts about the program which are untrue or not accurate. Let me honestly give you a 2008 update on this program.

1)They now have two 6 year spots and one 4 year spot. The case load is way more than enough to bring another resident. So we did.
2)There are 5 full time OMFS attendings with the near future of adding another. We are thinking a Cosmetic Trained Attending soon.
3)We practice full scope with some malignant path/recon. Tons of benign. Some cosmetics. Now I am not saying we come out ready to do cosmetic surgery or microvascular surgery. But I feel comfortable doing Blephs,Fillers,Lipo.
4)Regarding Malignant path and recon. We rotate with ENT/Surg Onc/Plastic and get enough exposure in OR doing all microvascular surgery/reconstruction. I know the principles and understanding of the surgical skills of these procedures and how to do them. So what, if you can go to a program and do a ton of malignant path. Will you be doing these procedures and anastomosis in practice. Probably not. You need to do a fellowship. So the point I am making is that this program gives you the right amount of exposure to this surgical field that most residents desire. So we dont have a fellow trained oncologist, o well. I dont feel that we are lacking in malignant path as others would say. Unless you expect to do this weekly.
5)We do enough trauma. We actually do all of the plastics/ENT difficult panfacial cases. We are known in this hospital to be the best at Trauma.
6)We sedate 5 days a week AM/PM 10 cases average a day. Mainly 3rds and path,trauma,implants. Some FMX but not overwelming.
7)There is enough implants to go around. The rumor is false that we lack in implants. The problem is that we operate 5 days a week and at 2 hospitals that there are not enough residents to run the implant center. If you make time you will place plenty of implants. But adding another resident is going to take care of that problem.
8) We do lack in cosmetics. Everyone knows that. The ENT Plastics attending is great about allowing us to operate with him or supervise. We also will be hopefully looking for a cosmetic trained attending soon. We dable in cosmetics but mainly limited to fillers,lipo,cervicplasty, and post traumatic wound/surgical revisions.
9)Orthognathic surg/TMJ more than enough. Way more than enough. We come out doing these procedures blindfolded.
Craniofacial-lots of 2nd clefts, few primary palates,few distraction, and Lefort3. Lots of hemifacial microsomia and condylar hyperplasia. Enough costochondral grafts which we harvest ourselves. We go to craniofacial clinic weekly. They are also starting to work with Dr. Ruiz in orlando doing craniofacial cases.
10)Resident operates as junior/Cheif. Not much retracting like I have personally seen at other programs. Here you dont have to wait unitl chief year to feel what steel feels like. Year 1-6 you operate, except when your physically in med school.
11) There have been recent changes to stipend and out of state tuition. More attractive now and affordable.

So in conclusion the program is great and will continue to improve with the addition of new attendings,and another resident as a 4 year. I am not saying it is the best program out there and full scope. But most programs are not and are lacking in numbers somewhere. You need to figure out in the future what you want in a program and apply based on that. If you want a program strong in cosmetics dont apply here. But at least understand what each program as to offer. I hope this has helped.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your input. I agree with everything you said. UF is an excellent program.