Gaining Licensure in the 5 states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisIsYourLife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the 5 states that need the aoa approved transitional year residency thing what happens if you do NOT take this year and say, 10 years down the line you want to move to that state and practice? is there no way around this? or are there other things that can be done at that time to make up for the lack of aoa approved year in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

For the 5 states that need the aoa approved transitional year residency thing what happens if you do NOT take this year and say, 10 years down the line you want to move to that state and practice? is there no way around this? or are there other things that can be done at that time to make up for the lack of aoa approved year in the past?

If you did an

ACGME program: look up AOA resolution 42.
AOA program: you may have to "make up" the internship year's contents to be eligible for practice in that state.

I read in the JAOA that 99% of prop 42 requests were approved the first time and that remaining 1% were approved on appeal. Don't worry about it, its just something on SDN to bitch about. I live in OK, and if things work out I plan on doing an allo residency.

Members don't see this ad :)

I want to say the AOA have catagorized the residencies and have "built" in the intern year as your residency 1 year. don't worry, dr george will give you a presentation in the beginning of your 2nd year about it. it just changed last year so it might change for your year too

Any AOA PGY1 year qualifies automatically. Otherwise, ACGME residents have to go through resolution 42, as already posted. Also, my state, Oklahoma, is one of those 5, but you can meet the requirements in an ACGME residency without resolution 42 if you do certain rotations.

I've applied to a general residency program in one of the five states. In order to be eligible for this residency position, their website states they require their Osteopathic applicants to have completed an AOA-residency, as to be properly licensed for the duration of their residency. As someone who doesn't plan on practicing in one of the "five" after residency, does this program have the right to require this year?

Also, in looking over resolution 42 at DO-Online.org I've come to the conclusion that completing a General Surgery internship will not meet the standard of the resolution: Complete all the rotational curricular requirements of AOA-approved OGME-1 year within the ACGME program. This may be the requirements of a traditional internship (option 3), a preliminary internship (option 2) or other OGME-1 year (option 1). <----- Can you apply for resolution 42 if the internship doesn't fit into the three "options" presented?

Any help with this would be extremely appreciated.

I've applied to a general residency program in one of the five states. In order to be eligible for this residency position, their website states they require their Osteopathic applicants to have completed an AOA-residency, as to be properly licensed for the duration of their residency. As someone who doesn't plan on practicing in one of the "five" after residency, does this program have the right to require this year?

Also, in looking over resolution 42 at DO-Online.org I've come to the conclusion that completing a General Surgery internship will not meet the standard of the resolution: Complete all the rotational curricular requirements of AOA-approved OGME-1 year within the ACGME program. This may be the requirements of a traditional internship (option 3), a preliminary internship (option 2) or other OGME-1 year (option 1). <----- Can you apply for resolution 42 if the internship doesn't fit into the three "options" presented?

I've found more info by digging deeper: open the forms and follow the links to the specific requirements for each specialty. For surg, here's a good summary link: https://www.facos.org/scriptcontent/educationagcme.cfm.

Edit: that link is going to seem unrelated: it's a more long-term look at licensure for ACGME residents.

I've applied to a general residency program in one of the five states. In order to be eligible for this residency position, their website states they require their Osteopathic applicants to have completed an AOA-residency, as to be properly licensed for the duration of their residency. As someone who doesn't plan on practicing in one of the "five" after residency, does this program have the right to require this year?.

I've heard of programs in Florida doing this because they want you to get your unrestricted license after internship. You can't get that without the AOA internship or Prop. 42 approval.

The "other" criteria for surgery might not be all that hard to fulfill, except for the 46 1/2 days in Family Practice. Maybe you could work that out somehow. I'm including AOA's Surgery requirements for anyone else who's interested from https://www.do-online.org/pdf/sir_ogme1core.pdf:

Surgery – General, Neurological and Urological
1st Year Requirement
&#56256;&#56453; Rotations for ½ day for 46 weeks of a primary care outpatient clinic in an out-patient clinic or office
&#56256;&#56453; 2 months of general internal medicine
&#56256;&#56453; 1 month of ICU
&#56256;&#56453; 1 month of emergency medicine
&#56256;&#56453; 1 month of female reproductive medicine
&#56256;&#56453; 1 month of pediatrics, if available, or another primary care specialty at the discretion of the training institution
&#56256;&#56453; 4 months of general surgery
&#56256;&#56453; 2 months of electives to include any of the following areas:
o Urology
o Orthopedics
o Anesthesia
o ENT
o General surgery
o Vascular surgery
o Neurosurgery
o Cardiovascular thoracic surgery
o Plastic and reconstructive

As the requirements are written, I don't see another way. Yet, there may be people who have succesfully circumvented the system. I hope that you can find them. :luck:

&#65533;&#65533; 2 months of general internal medicine

I don't see any IM in ACGME surg programs. Miami doesn't show a breakdown, but I looked at USF, Vermont, UWash and OHSU. Hmmmm.

Yeah. I just looked up the ACGME requirements for surgery and read:

"No more than six months total may be allocated to research or to non- surgical disciplines such as anesthesiology, internal medicine, pediatrics, or surgical pathology. (Gastroenterology is exempt from this limit if this rotation provides endoscopic experiences.)"

I guess that doesn't leave time for all the osteopathic requirements.

http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/440_general_surgery_01012008_u08102008.pdf

I think you could theoretically spin a peds surg rotation as being peds, and a trauma rotation as being EM, and surg critical care as being ICU. But I don't see a way to spin something into 2 months of IM. I wonder if folks give up their summers to get IM done or whatnot.

And per my mostly-irrelevant link above, I'm concerned with the longer term licensure issues with getting every ACGME year approved by an AOA board. Checking off a list of procedures doesn't scare me, but it seems like there are several other hoops to jump through, forever.

:concerned face with scrunched eyebrows: (there's no smiley for that)