Gaining PR during Aus Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorS84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Seeing if any international med students in Aus can help me answer something.

I understand some Aus med schools can allow you to gain permanent residency AFTER enrollment and you will be transferred to a FFP domestic spot. Has anyone actually gained PR this route through independent skilled worker migration?

My situation is I'm a Canadian starting med school in Aus in 2017. My current occupation is part of Skilled Worker Migration list and I have enough points to apply for PR independently through that. I want to gain PR during med school to better my chances of gaining an internship spot when I graduate. I understand the 10 year moratorium will still apply but I'm ok with that. I just want to see if it's possible for me to apply through skilled worker migration even though I start on the student visa.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

UQ currently allows any international student to change to FFP domestic student anytime during the degree. However, you cannot have your status change before school commences, as they can revoke your spot.