Gaining Research Experience While Working Full Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josie1554

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on gaining research experience while working full time?

Here's my story: I just graduated from my Master's Program. I have two years of research experience and have experience conducting my own research project. My ultimate goal is to get into a research-oriented PH.D program. I have been looking for a job in research, but that has proved to be impossible in this market, so I had to take a clincial oriented job. (After all, I have to pay bills.) Now, I am worried that I will become less desirable as a future PH.D applicant, since my work does not involve research, so I, at least, want to continue volunteering in a lab. However, my schedule is less flexible now (I work from 7:00 to 3:30, five days a week). Do you think professors would be able to work with my schedule? I hate to ask if I could work in their lab and then go back tell them I could only work during these times. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would simply mention your scheduling constraints when you initially make contact with researchers. If they can take you on, great. If they can't accommodate your schedule, then you're not wasting anyone's time.

Yes. When I started volunteering in a research lab I full time from 9-5. So I let the professor know up front that I could only volunteer after work or on the weekends. She got me a key to the lab so I could do what had to be done in the lab after hours and she also gave me mostly stuff I could do from home and we had meetings in the evenings when she stayed late or over the phone. Thus, it worked out really well:D

I agree, just let them know up front about your time constraints and how many hours you think you can manage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your work schedule is a draw back for you. If you have experience and an MA you're a great catch for any lab. Plus, since you get off work around 3:30 you can still get into a lab in time to help out a few hours before the end of the day. Just be honest and contact a lot of people! Good luck!!

Thanks all. I guess it's time to start cold emailing professors. :xf:

Yes. When I started volunteering in a research lab I full time from 9-5. So I let the professor know up front that I could only volunteer after work or on the weekends. She got me a key to the lab so I could do what had to be done in the lab after hours and she also gave me mostly stuff I could do from home and we had meetings in the evenings when she stayed late or over the phone. Thus, it worked out really well:D

I agree, just let them know up front about your time constraints and how many hours you think you can manage.

I work full time 9-5 as well. and I have been volunteering in a lab on and off for the last few years. One of the RAs was willing to meet me on the weekends and help me do stuff like screen participants on the phone. I also went in after work and did stuff like data entry when everyone else was gone. If I could get there a little early, I would get some face time otherwise they just left notes for me or communicated over email. I was lucky to have a PI who really wanted to help me get good experience. They even arranged for me to attend a conference in the area gratis ( I did have to take time off work).

Good luck. It's not super easy but with a little ingenuity and flexibility it can be done. I have decided though that if I do not get into a program after applying this fall, I will look for a full time RA position. Mostly because my full time job is not very fulfilling right now and I would like to be more actively involved in the lab.

I had a doubt. How do you reach out to a professor to volunteer at a lab? Like what would I say in the mail? I'm an undergrad, graduating this summer and I realised I don't like my minor pretty late. I'll start working soon (bills to be paid) but I wanted research experience in another related field. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I had a doubt. How do you reach out to a professor to volunteer at a lab? Like what would I say in the mail? I'm an undergrad, graduating this summer and I realised I don't like my minor pretty late. I'll start working soon (bills to be paid) but I wanted research experience in another related field. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
What I did was I sent an email asking to meet during office hours, and I asked in person if they were taking research assistants, as I was looking to get additional research experience. This may or may not be possible for you during the summer, though. Does the faculty member have information about how to join the lab on their website?