Gaining Residency for In-State Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeorgeGinaDentata

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am applying to dental schools this upcoming cycle and will be taking a gap year during the 2018-2019 school year. So, I was wondering if it would be wise/verydumb to use the gap year to move to another state, work there for a year prior to starting a dental program in the state, and get in-state tuition?

For an example, I am from PA. I was considering moving in with family in VA and working so that I could get in-state tuition for VCU (which is WAY cheaper than oos tuition there). I emailed VCU admissions and they said that it would look very good when considering my application.

Obviously, this would all be for naught if I didn't get into VCU, but I feel that I am competitive enough to have a good shot. But, aside from that, are there any big red flags that I'm not considering? I'm not tied down to Pennsylvania.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why not a state with 3 dental schools like Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a very risky move just for dental school. I'd contact the school to see if they can make a special case for you for you to gain in-state tuition. I'm sure you're not the first person to ask VCU regarding this.

Honestly, I really wouldn't let that stop you from applying if dentistry is truly your passion. A very good friend of mine actually broke off an engagement to move OOS and attend dental school, and she's kicking ass right now,but that's a very extreme case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not a state with 3 dental schools like Texas.

lol TX was my Plan A until I asked them and they said I would have to already have been a resident at the time of putting in my application for it to work. So they still would have processed me as a PA resident, and those TX schools don't take too kindly to strangers.

It's a very risky move just for dental school. I'd contact the school to see if they can make a special case for you for you to gain in-state tuition. I'm sure you're not the first person to ask VCU regarding this.

Honestly, I really wouldn't let that stop you from applying if dentistry is truly your passion. A very good friend of mine actually broke off an engagement to move OOS and attend dental school, and she's kicking ass right now,but that's a very extreme case.

I'm going to make some calls tomorrow to more schools to see if there is a general consensus. I just feel like getting $37000/yr tuition at a place like VCU would make a BIG difference over $55000/yr tuition at temple, which is where I would most likely get into in PA.