GAMSAT in America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwhilk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question please: Does anyone have any advice about how an American can obtain GAMSAT prep materials (either for free online or purchase somewhere)? I checked Amazon.com and couldn't find anything. Kind thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if you email the people at ACER they will send you a pracitce test to the states for a fee.(they did for me anyway).

www.acer.edu.au/gamsat

the only problem i had was that they didn't give much of a clue about how to format the essays. the practice problems were spot on though.

Thanks 3Xhelix! That's a great tip, I didn't know about that. I'll email them right away.

How was the GAMSAT by the way? I dunno if you took the MCAT or have seen it, but if you have, do you think the GAMSAT was harder or easier than the MCAT?

hi nwhilk,

Yes, i took both the MCAT and GAMSAT and i personally found the GAMSAT a lot easier. It's more a test of your abilty to take information and apply it, whereas the MCAT is more of a "how much information can you cram into your head and remeber from college" type test.

the gamsat will explain a general concept, then give you a problem where you have to apply that concept. obviously it helps a lot if you can remember the material, although some problems have nothing to do with medicine/science (i remember one debating the artistic value of a urinal!!).

I'd say these differing styles probably reflect the teaching styles at Australian vs. US schools (from what i've read anyway..please correct me someone if i'm wrong). Once you ge the pracitice test you'll know what i mean.

Hope this helps