GAMSAT || Umat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bankai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bombed out on the GAMSAT and just decided to settle for under graduate medicine and do the UMAT ?

Is this a wise move?

I guess if i go poorly in GAMSAT, i could do undergrad medicine as a pass time till the next sitting of GAMSAT?

Just a passing thought - i like to have a backup plan for everything

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone bombed out on the GAMSAT and just decided to settle for under graduate medicine and do the UMAT ?

Is this a wise move?

I guess if i go poorly in GAMSAT, i could do undergrad medicine as a pass time till the next sitting of GAMSAT?

Depending on what your strengths are, UMAT may or may not be easier than GAMSAT.

For me, my UMAT mark was awful. A whole 1/3 of the exam was finding shapes from a complex geometrical picture, and I found 3 shapes out of possible 20.

My UMAT mark for that section was in the bottom 20%.

In the GAMSAT, I did much better and was placed within the top 10%, getting my highest mark from writing, followed by scientific multiple choice.

I never really understood what the UMAT was really testing for.. but that was in 2002 so they may have changed since then.

P.S. If you get into a med school, I'd generally recommend staying.

I wouldn't say that going for undergraduate medicine is "settling". In many respects it is more difficult to get into than graduate medicine.

I have no idea why you would do undergraduate medicine to "pass the time" until you can do graduate medicine. What makes you think this is a good idea at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got into medicine via UMAT, stay.

At most you'd be doing 1 to 2 years more than a postgraduate entry course and still end up with your medical degree. From what I understand the first couple of undergrad program years may focus more on basic sciences, but after that they're much the same.

The other point worth mentioning is that, strictly speaking, at the end of either program you still have an undergraduate medical degree; it was only the method of entry that had a different term in the title. Neither is considered 'better' than the other.

-David

Bankai - you have had so many questions about the australian medical education system. have you thought about talking directly to acer? that would REALLY help you i think.

umat vs. gamsat, undergrad vs grad med...who cares? you still have the same degree/qualification at the end of the day. lots of graduates still go into undergrad med.

i thought you said in a previous post that you had/where completing a masters degree? i'm sure that if this is in science, you would be able to do gamsat. if you are too scared or lazy or whatever to study properly for the gamsat, are you going to be able to keep up in med school? i think you need to think this one through...

good luck.

I was under the impression undergraduate medicine was not available to someone who had already completed an Australian degree?

As for doing undergraduate medicine to 'pass the time' till the next GAMSAT- huh? Why?

I was under the impression undergraduate medicine was not available to someone who had already completed an Australian degree?

As for doing undergraduate medicine to 'pass the time' till the next GAMSAT- huh? Why?

It's not a strict rule. There are often less places for people who have a tertiary record at undergraduate medical programs. They do not discriminate between those who have a degree and those who have just started one.

i believe that melb and newcastle have a 5 year undergrad degree, and that unsw lets medical science grads into a 4 year undergrad degree.

Bankai - you have had so many questions about the australian medical education system. have you thought about talking directly to acer? that would REALLY help you i think.

umat vs. gamsat, undergrad vs grad med...who cares? you still have the same degree/qualification at the end of the day. lots of graduates still go into undergrad med.

i thought you said in a previous post that you had/where completing a masters degree? i'm sure that if this is in science, you would be able to do gamsat. if you are too scared or lazy or whatever to study properly for the gamsat, are you going to be able to keep up in med school? i think you need to think this one through...

good luck.

You're probably right, i should talk to acer about this ... might call them tomorrow.

Yes i am doing a masters degree but it's not in science.

i believe that melb and newcastle have a 5 year undergrad degree, and that unsw lets medical science grads into a 4 year undergrad degree.

There are plenty more 5-year degrees than that.

I suggest anyone wanting more information on Australian medical programs to head over to www.medstudentsonline.com.

It has far more Australian and New Zealand medical entry information than SDN.

It's not a strict rule. There are often less places for people who have a tertiary record at undergraduate medical programs. They do not discriminate between those who have a degree and those who have just started one.

Ahh ok, I knew there were people who had started a degree and then did UMAT and got in, didn't know you could do that after a degree.

As another poster said above, it is better to go to the relevant websites (ACER, medical schools websites etc) to read all about the admissions process, rather than picking up bits and pieces of possibly outdated info from current students.

Is this a wise move?

The GAMSAT is definitely easier than the North American MCAT, I took both exams but spent far more time preparing for the MCAT.