Gap in volunteer work ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 quick questions.
1) I graduated in 2009, started working full time right after and stopped volunteering at the clinic regularly in 08/2010 because of work schedule change. I still come in for fund raising and special events if it's at night or on the weekends but no regular commitment and I reported on amcas as such. Up to that point I have 280 hours. Would that gap in volunteer be looked down on by adcoms? I couldn't volunteer during that year because I was also studying to retake MCAT during my free time up until 04/2011.

2) My schedule changed again and now I have a half day during the week that I can volunteer. Should I update my apps?

Members don't see this ad.

2 quick questions.
1) I graduated in 2009, started working full time right after and stopped volunteering at the clinic regularly in 08/2010 because of work schedule change. I still come in for fund raising and special events if it's at night or on the weekends but no regular commitment and I reported on amcas as such. Up to that point I have 280 hours. Would that gap in volunteer be looked down on by adcoms? I couldn't volunteer during that year because I was also studying to retake MCAT during my free time up until 04/2011.

2) My schedule changed again and now I have a half day during the week that I can volunteer. Should I update my apps?

1) No, obviously it would have been better to continue volunteering, but you should be fine.

2) Have you already submitted your primary? and secondaries?

2 quick questions.

With 280 hours, I would say you are well ahead of the curve in vol hours. You will probably be fine.

Also, I think med schools are understanding of people who have to work. Certainly no one would mistake that for laziness.