1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Gap in volunteer work ok?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FattySlug, Aug 11, 2011.

1. FattySlug

7+ Year Member

2 quick questions.
    1) I graduated in 2009, started working full time right after and stopped volunteering at the clinic regularly in 08/2010 because of work schedule change. I still come in for fund raising and special events if it's at night or on the weekends but no regular commitment and I reported on amcas as such. Up to that point I have 280 hours. Would that gap in volunteer be looked down on by adcoms? I couldn't volunteer during that year because I was also studying to retake MCAT during my free time up until 04/2011.

2) My schedule changed again and now I have a half day during the week that I can volunteer. Should I update my apps?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. macsta

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    1) No, obviously it would have been better to continue volunteering, but you should be fine.

2) Have you already submitted your primary? and secondaries?

4. Doctor Cat

With 280 hours, I would say you are well ahead of the curve in vol hours. You will probably be fine.

Also, I think med schools are understanding of people who have to work. Certainly no one would mistake that for laziness.