Gap of 10 years since my UG, is it too long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echo523

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I got my udergrad in 1999 and someone just told me that it has been too long since I graduated that I need to take some UG classes to prove that I should have no problem of engaging back to school life. I do agree on that part, but it was suggested that i might have to take 2-3 semsesters of work to prove to the admission office.

I was planning on to apply next year after taking 1 semester but if I retake 2-3 semesters of work, it is going to put out another year... To some degree, i do agree with that person, but I wanted get your opinion about it. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Other people will chime in, but do you have to serve any other purposes by taking more UG classes? Usually the reason people do it is either for: (A) UG GPA improvement (trying to move from subpar to competitive/won't-be-autoscreened-out-at-some-places), or (B) having some or none of the prerequisite courses done.

My questions for you, and anyone in your shoes would be:
1) Have you taken the prerequisite courses?
2) Have you taken the MCAT?
3) Do you need to refresh your memory on the prerequisites? If you are determined to take them, do you have the financial means to do so?

I don't think the gap of 10 years since undergrad is that bad - check with schools to which you are applying to see if they want them more recent than 10 years old. I've read individual accounts of people having 15-20 year old coursework just taking the MCAT, achieving a competitive score and proceeding straight to applying. The gap of 10 years COULD be bad if it hasn't been filled with a stable work history or interesting real-world experiences (examples: volunteer work, extensive travel, missionary work, etc.).

I had been out of undergrad for about 12 years when I decided to apply to med school. Although I needed to improve my gpa, even if my grades had been fine, UConn was very clear they wanted to see recent, preferably full time, coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other people will chime in, but do you have to serve any other purposes by taking more UG classes? Usually the reason people do it is either for: (A) UG GPA improvement (trying to move from subpar to competitive/won't-be-autoscreened-out-at-some-places), or (B) having some or none of the prerequisite courses done.

My questions for you, and anyone in your shoes would be:
1) Have you taken the prerequisite courses?
2) Have you taken the MCAT?
3) Do you need to refresh your memory on the prerequisites? If you are determined to take them, do you have the financial means to do so?

I don't think the gap of 10 years since undergrad is that bad - check with schools to which you are applying to see if they want them more recent than 10 years old. I've read individual accounts of people having 15-20 year old coursework just taking the MCAT, achieving a competitive score and proceeding straight to applying. The gap of 10 years COULD be bad if it hasn't been filled with a stable work history or interesting real-world experiences (examples: volunteer work, extensive travel, missionary work, etc.).

Yes, I do need to improve GPA; however, since my past hours are more than 160, no matter what I get from "future" classes, they won't have much impact. But it was suggested that it might give good impression to show that I'll be able to pull off good grades, putting my past behind.

I have finished all my pre req (actually more than enough with all other adv sci classes); however, one of the pre req got C+. Retaking the course might help...

But my question is lenght of semesters.... Shouldn't 1 semester with one of the retake and several adv bio classes be enough to show my ability?

I think your argument would be stronger the longer the streak/semesters of A's you have on your transcript. One semester of A's is a good start, but two would be better, three better than two, adcoms can then see the new trend in your grades and that whatever difficulties you previously had (working full time/school full time, family issues, immaturity, and so on) no longer effect the student and person you are now.

The trick is for them to be able to see the difference and easily distinguish between the you of the past and the current you.

I think your argument would be stronger the longer the streak/semesters of A's you have on your transcript. One semester of A's is a good start, but two would be better, three better than two, adcoms can then see the new trend in your grades and that whatever difficulties you previously had (working full time/school full time, family issues, immaturity, and so on) no longer effect the student and person you are now.

The trick is for them to be able to see the difference and easily distinguish between the you of the past and the current you.

Thank you for the input. I think that was my impression when someone gave me the advice and your comment make more sense... I just need to ponder on going to more UG classes... *sigh* but gotta do whatever it takes... right? =)