Gap: One or Two Years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One or Two?

• One

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Two

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

crispr504

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here’s a little bit of background on my situation:

I’m a senior graduating in May 2020. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet.

-cGPA will end up being about a 3.78 from a reputable college in my state. Significant upward trend after sophomore year.

-No MCAT score yet, but I’m confident I will do well.

-No research

-1-2 poster presentations

-No volunteering (clinical or nonclinical)

-About 100 hours of shadowing various specialities

-Basically no other ECs or leadership positions.

-I come from a very underserved community devastated by a natural disaster (not sure whether this will benefit me or not).

-I would love to move home and provide service to my community.

-White/male/gay (again, not sure if that matters)

I know I’m behind, and I know I haven’t been the most productive premed student. I’ve had some personal and family issues throughout college, some of which I am still dealing with. I know I will need a gap year, but at this point I am trying to figure out whether or not I need one or two.

The most important things I need are obviously things that prove my interest in medicine. I know I need volunteering, and maybe even a part time job to rack up clinical hours.

If I took one year, I would have to apply 2020 and then matriculate 2021. Taking two years would put me applying 2021 and matriculating 2022.

I’m just trying to figure out which timeline would be in my best interest and whether or not it would be worth it for me to take the two years over one year.

Help appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

-cGPA will end up being about a 3.78 from a reputable college in my state.

-No research

-I come from a very underserved community devastated by a natural disaster (not sure whether this will benefit me or not).

I know I’m behind, and I know I haven’t been the most productive premed student. I’ve had some personal and family issues throughout college, some of which I am still dealing with. I know I will need a gap year, but at this point I am trying to figure out whether or not I need one or two.

The most important things I need are obviously things that prove my interest in medicine. I know I need volunteering, and maybe even a part time job to rack up clinical hours.

If I took one year, I would have to apply 2020 and then matriculate 2021. Taking two years would put me applying 2021 and matriculating 2022.

I’m just trying to figure out which timeline would be in my best interest and whether or not it would be worth it for me to take the two years over one year.

Help appreciated.
Honestly depends on your MCAT score and your goals (MD/DO/T20). I would suggest applying 2021 just because you said you're still dealing with personal and family issues. Also it's tough balancing all those ECs that you still need and also get a competitive MCAT score at the same time. You ideally want to do this process once with the best possible app.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly depends on your MCAT score and your goals (MD/DO/T20). I would suggest applying 2021 just because you said you're still dealing with personal and family issues. Also it's tough balancing all those ECs that you still need and also get a competitive MCAT score at the same time. You ideally want to do this process once with the best possible app.

Goal is MD. Shooting for 515-518 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Goal is MD. Shooting for 515-518 MCAT.
515-518 is a difficult score to get, but as someone who one year ago was posting “I am anticipating getting a 514” and ending with a good chunk higher, I know that you can do it! It will take time and effort. However, before commenting on your plan of action, what do you plan on doing this year in terms of clinical experience, volunteering, leadership etc?

-cGPA will end up being about a 3.78 from a reputable college in my state. Significant upward trend after sophomore year.

-No research

Help appreciated.
Honestly, if you need to take a gap year or two before applying to medical school (due to family issues), I would focus on: A) Studying hard for the MCAT and taking it and B) Getting as many EC's as you can (i.e. volunteering, shadowing, research). You just want to make sure that you don't stop cold turkey on everything because adcoms want to see that you are still interested in medicine. If you take a gap year or two and don't engage yourself in the medical field, they will ask why in interviews. Good luck!

OP, If you have no research, what are your two poster presentations on? It seems to me like you might be selling yourself short- I know it can be hard, but you really have to sell yourself to get through this process. I would still take two gap years so that you can get more longitudinal service experience, but is there really nothing about yourself that you're leaving out?

Reactions: 2 users