Gap Semester / Graduate Early? Good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcshen97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked at the requirements I have completed and will need to complete for my undergrad degree, and I realized that I can graduate one semester early, in December. I became interested in this idea and I have been pondering it lately. My plan is to apply to med schools next cycle and *hopefully* take a "6 month break" before entering in 2019. Is this too risky? Would you graduate a semester early? If so, why? And for those who did graduate one semester early, what did you do? What should I do during that time, should I choose to graduate early?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's "risky" if you've completed all the prereqs. Some of my classmates did this and used what would have been their last semester to do paid research, others traveled abroad, etc. You could probably do anything you wanted to, as long as you're being productive with your time. Incentives for graduating a semester early include saving tuition money and getting to do things you wouldn't otherwise be able to do as a full-time student.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not concerned about money at all, since if I were then I would have planned to do my undergrad degree in 3 years; I think it's not good to rush your undergrad like that. If I got in, would medical schools ask me why I graduated early and what I did during that time?
For employment, I have heard of medical scribes, but they say that it takes like 2 months and more to get trained in it. Is that true? What other premed-related jobs can I undertake for, say, around 2-3 months?

Any job is fine, doesnt have to be medically related. If you have part or full time at a local 7-11, then it may easier just to add some volunteering. Or get a job in non profit, service sector, or something you like, have interest, etc

Do you think it's OK to do that for just a (small) portion of the semester that I have off? Like 2-3 months? I would like to do something like this for this long and then take my break.