Gap semester pre-dent in need of advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ndixon

Reaction score
So I’m an incoming freshman in college and really interested in going on a pre-dental track. Although my school seems very helpful with pre-health planning, I decided to take the first semester off due to personal issues. Will I be too behind to apply to dental school the summer after junior year? I’m also planning on doing a summer session at some point in college to make up for the missed semester but I know taking courses during the summer is not liked by some dental schools... What classes should I NOT take during summer session? If anyone has any other advice please share, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Will I be too behind to apply to dental school the summer after junior year?
No. Just make sure you have a majority of your pre-reqs out of the way before this, and that you've also (preferably) taken your DAT before this summer.
but I know taking courses during the summer is not liked by some dental schools
I've never heard this? I took full course loads every summer and I didn't hear anything bad about it from any school

Reactions: 1 users
I also took a semester off early in college and I think it's definetly possible to apply the summer after your junior year if you can take the DAT in time for your app. It'll also help if you have AP credit that can count towards your undergrad degree (some schools have requirements of how many credit hours you need to complete before you apply). Also there's nothing wrong with taking summer classes. It makes sense in terms of saving time and saving money (depending on the school) so be sure to take some if you need to knock out some requirements.