Gap Year Activities and LOR Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaOddOne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I hope you are well and staying safe. I graduated May 2019 and plan to apply for the upcoming cycle. I spent my gap year studying for the MCAT, working to pay off student loans, and spending time with friends and family. During the gap year my family has begun to move across the country and my girlfriend is starting a job out of state. As such, I found it most beneficial to spend time with family during my gap year. I have finished training for my first clinical job as a scribe for ScribeAmerica, but I haven't had the chance to work yet due to COVID-19. When I begin to fill out the activities section I am concerned that it will not show many activities from my current gap year as I haven't done much.

Will this lack of new activities be seen as a negative? I should note that I have a significant number of activities from when I was in college and I plan to include scribe work with projected hours.

As I mentioned above, I haven't had the opportunity to begin work as a scribe. If I am able to begin working in the hospital before the application is due, would it be bad to ask one of the doctors for an expected LOR? Noting that it wouldn't be due until August or so, but that I need to put their name in the system before submission of the primary application.

Any help would be appreciated. Take care.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, you said you were working this year to pay off loans. Even if your job wasn't super medical-related, you can still put it on your app and then they'll know you were staying busy/productive!