ScienceGeek13

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Long time lurker and absorber of the wisdom I have seen on this forum. I wanted to list my ECs and stats to see if there is any place in which I could improve my application for the next cycle.

-Undergrad Degree: B.S. in Biochem, biology minor, graduated with honors
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.51
MCAT: TBD (aiming for 517+)

-1 Year Master's Program at my state medical school (mimicking medical school curriculum)
-postbacc GPA: 3.94

-Clinical hours: 1500 hrs (paid medical - currently work as patient care technician at a hospital doing vital signs, blood draws, etc.)
-Non-clinical volunteering: ~800 hrs (year long service in non-profit organization, community service mentor, site leader for campus wide days of service)
-Research: ~1500 hrs (2 different biochem research labs, got summer research funding for 2 years in one lab)
-Posters: 4 presented by me on my work at the university research days/program symposiums
-TA: GenChem TA for 1 year (~320 hrs)
-Shadowing: 36 hrs (6 in trauma surgery and 30 with cardiologist... hours cut short due to Covid)
-Leadership/Other: 80 hrs (small-group leader for first-year experience program)

-Awards: Top100 award from undergrad, Civic engagement award given to graduating seniors with extensive community involvement, chemistry department award for promising chem undergrad

I do not want to sit on my hands and do nothing with this gap year time. Would I get dinged for having no medical volunteering hours given my extensive clinical experience with direct patient care? Should I attempt to continue shadowing during this time if possible? I might have an option to join a research lab, should I consider this? I would appreciate any advice on what should be next steps to bolster my application. Thanks so much!

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
  1. Medical Student
Just to clarify, you mention a 1 year masters program but then list a postbac GPA. Which one is it or is it both? Typically graduate (masters) programs have graduate level courses that are listed on a separate line and not included in your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA calculations. A postbac however would involved additional undergraduate level courses that would not result in earning a masters degree. What you describe sounds like a graduate program.

As for what to do: if you can volunteer in clinical or nonclinical settings that would definitely be a good thing to do during this time of need. Shadowing is always good but you need to target primary care - surgery and cardiology are fine experiences to have but you need primary care in the mix. Taking a lab position is fine as well. Research experience is helpful.

Really, anything you do will likely be just fine. Minus your GPA and lack of MCAT, your numbers are pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user

ScienceGeek13

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Just to clarify, you mention a 1 year masters program but then list a postbac GPA. Which one is it or is it both? Typically graduate (masters) programs have graduate level courses that are listed on a separate line and not included in your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA calculations. A postbac however would involved additional undergraduate level courses that would not result in earning a masters degree. What you describe sounds like a graduate program.

As for what to do: if you can volunteer in clinical or nonclinical settings that would definitely be a good thing to do during this time of need. Shadowing is always good but you need to target primary care - surgery and cardiology are fine experiences to have but you need primary care in the mix. Taking a lab position is fine as well. Research experience is helpful.

Really, anything you do will likely be just fine. Minus your GPA and lack of MCAT, your numbers are pretty good.

Hey, thanks for your reply. To clarify, it is definitely a Master's program so it should be listed as a graduate GPA. Would you say that my uGPA would severely hinder my application strength given my performance in the Master's?

I appreciate the input! I just want to make the most of the time I have in this gap year.

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hey, thanks for your reply. To clarify, it is definitely a Master's program so it should be listed as a graduate GPA. Would you say that my uGPA would severely hinder my application strength given my performance in the Master's?

I appreciate the input! I just want to make the most of the time I have in this gap year.

No, your SMP performance should outweigh concerns about your uGPA. Just perform well on the MCAT, that should be your biggest priority.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads