Gap Year Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jljl123

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm currently a 3rd year molecular biology major at UC santa cruz, and I'm debating whether or not I should apply during the upcoming cycle or to take a gap year to boost my application. Right now I have about an overall GPA of 3.7 and I'm planning to take the GRE in the summer. I'm actually set to graduate 2 quarters early as well.

I know for experience hours, a lot of people apply with 2000+ so I'm nervous that my hours are too low and that I should focus on getting more by taking a gap year. I have about 600 hours working in a small animal clinic which I'm still working at occasionally, and I'm also picking up a part time job as a vet assistant soon. Would that be considered enough? Especially if it's all small animal based and not exploring into other fields..

I honestly haven't thought about taking a gap year until recently since I find it ideal to go straight from undergrad, but now i'm considering it to strengthen my application. Is it worth it? Sorry for the lengthy post, just a little worried! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It wont hurt to keep working on your hours, but if your application is otherwise solid (like that GPA), then I see no reason not to apply.

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't have fixed plans during the upcoming summer, a good option would be to apply this year and try and get some varied experience over the summer (large animal, research, exotic..). 600 hours at a small animal clinic isn't bad, and I think if you show diversity the quantity of hours will become overlooked. And worst case, you don't get in this year and apply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others. Look into the programs you want to apply to and look at the previous years stats, their current requirements, etc. and apply smart. If you have the financial means to apply to the schools(s) that you think you’d have good chances at. * Then I don’t see why not!
A few classmates had minimal clinical experience and instead boosted their application in other ways: extracurricular experiences, GPA, eLORs, research, shadowing, GRE, etc. and we’re very well rounded.
Make some plans to get more (varied) experience this summer, the applications don’t close until September (I think) so you have plenty of time. If you find a place you go to gain experience, when you’re working on your VMCAS you can include it and I believe there was an option to state if you were currently there or not. If you don’t get in this year, ask for a file review and you’ll have an idea what you can improve on for the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I would apply this year and continue to work on getting more hours. Even if you don't get in this cycle you will be able to get feedback on other parts of your application that may need work like interview skills or letters of recommendation, and then give yourself even better chances next time

Reactions: 1 users
As others have said, I'd go ahead and apply this coming cycle. Use December - end of August to vary your vet hours. Don't submit your application until you have accrued all of the hours of experience that you can. 600 hours isn't too low, it's the lack of diversity that's potentially a bigger problem. And it would likely be helpful to develop a relationship with more veterinarians to have more LOR options.

Start thinking now on which schools you plan to apply to to make sure you have or will have taken all of the necessary pre-req's. Also consider taking the GRE late spring so that you have time to re-take over the summer if needed.

A gap year is not a bad thing, but there is no reason to deliberately take one if your application is strong. You'd be entering the work force and earning real money a year earlier if accepted next cycle. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Having just applied this cycle for the first time, I will say that having a diverse assortment of experiences made writing the gazillion essays that much easier. I didn’t realize just how many essays there are between VMCAS and supplemental applications until I was in the thick of it and I was so grateful to not have to fluff to meet character count. Do whatever you can to squeeze in as many experiences as possible before you hit submit in September. You’ll thank yourself!

Otherwise ditto what everyone else said.

I agree with the others. Look into the programs you want to apply to and look at the previous years stats, their current requirements, etc. and apply smart. If you have the financial means to apply to the schools(s) that you think you’d have good chances at. * Then I don’t see why not!
A few classmates had minimal clinical experience and instead boosted their application in other ways: extracurricular experiences, GPA, eLORs, research, shadowing, GRE, etc. and we’re very well rounded.
Make some plans to get more (varied) experience this summer, the applications don’t close until September (I think) so you have plenty of time. If you find a place you go to gain experience, when you’re working on your VMCAS you can include it and I believe there was an option to state if you were currently there or not. If you don’t get in this year, ask for a file review and you’ll have an idea what you can improve on for the next cycle.
Thanks for the reply, this made me feel a lot better! I hope to be finding some opportunities to expand on my experience soon :')

Having just applied this cycle for the first time, I will say that having a diverse assortment of experiences made writing the gazillion essays that much easier. I didn’t realize just how many essays there are between VMCAS and supplemental applications until I was in the thick of it and I was so grateful to not have to fluff to meet character count. Do whatever you can to squeeze in as many experiences as possible before you hit submit in September. You’ll thank yourself!

Otherwise ditto what everyone else said.
Thanks for the advice!! Best of luck to you for this cycle ^_^

As others have said, I'd go ahead and apply this coming cycle. Use December - end of August to vary your vet hours. Don't submit your application until you have accrued all of the hours of experience that you can. 600 hours isn't too low, it's the lack of diversity that's potentially a bigger problem. And it would likely be helpful to develop a relationship with more veterinarians to have more LOR options.

Start thinking now on which schools you plan to apply to to make sure you have or will have taken all of the necessary pre-req's. Also consider taking the GRE late spring so that you have time to re-take over the summer if needed.

A gap year is not a bad thing, but there is no reason to deliberately take one if your application is strong. You'd be entering the work force and earning real money a year earlier if accepted next cycle. Best of luck!
Ah thank you for this reply and your help! And do you happen to know if it's accepted for (most) schools if you're currently taking one of the pre-reqs at the time of submitting applications, or does it have to be completely finished with the transcripts sent in? Sorry for the questions!

Ah thank you for this reply and your help! And do you happen to know if it's accepted for (most) schools if you're currently taking one of the pre-reqs at the time of submitting applications, or does it have to be completely finished with the transcripts sent in? Sorry for the questions!
Almost all (possibly all?) vet schools will allow you to have a certain number of pre-reqs to be in progress or incomplete at the time of application, usually two. So you should be fine to go ahead and apply if you’re only missing one and will complete it following VMCAS submission during that fall or spring semester. You just need to make sure that you will have taken it before matriculation if you are accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Almost all (possibly all?) vet schools will allow you to have a certain number of pre-reqs to be in progress or incomplete at the time of application, usually two. So you should be fine to go ahead and apply if you’re only missing one and will complete it following VMCAS submission during that fall or spring semester. You just need to make sure that you will have taken it before matriculation if you are accepted.
Great, thanks for replying with this info! :)