Gap year before residency and successful matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ergotamine

Reaction score
Any US md/do graduate take a year off between graduation and residency for any particular reason? I have heard that the chances of matching after the gap year can be significantly low...but I am looking for any success stories of matching?? (I am looking to match into a community FM program if anyone is wondering).

Members don't see this ad.

Any US md/do graduate take a year off between graduation and residency for any particular reason? I have heard that the chances of matching after the gap year can be significantly low...but I am looking for any success stories of matching?? (I am looking to match into a community FM program if anyone is wondering).

Will you match community FM? Yes, probably. But gap years aren't a thing in medical school. If you want a year off from medical school your options are research years, fellowships, or MBA/MS/MPH, etc. It's a huge red flag to take a year off and not do something productive. Especially taking a year off after graduation.

So while yes, you could match FM with a year off, I would highly recommend against it as it will likely limit your success to some degree even in FM, and there is always the off chance of going unmatched. It's just not worth it.

My only suggestion if you really need a year off is to find the chillest online masters degree or research program and split your time between vacation/travel and classes/research.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive never heard of anyone taking a gap year after med school and then doing residency afterward. Usually they do something else

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you mean by gap year.

I know many people (applying to competitive subspecialties) who delayed graduation after failing to match and did a research year.

But graduating and then taking a year off just to recharge? Not recommended. Sure, you're applying for community FM, so if anyone can get away with it, it'd be you. But I know of no success stories. You'd definitely be an outlier and catch the attention of residency directors, and not in a good way. No one wants to bring in a resident who let their skills atrophy for a year. If you have a very good reason and can make a case for it, then by all means. But realize you're adding a lot of risk to the equation after working very hard to get through medical school.

sounds like a big red flag unless you're taking a research year and have pubs to show for it

Reactions: 1 user