Gap year job ideas before MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AARA1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I'm currently about a month into my gap year and have not been able to find any entry level research jobs. I wanted to get your opinion(s) about two opportunities and which one would be better. I am planning on applying to MPH/MS program in Epidemiology/Environmental Health.

1) Patent Services Rep: basically a medical front office sort of job at a local hospital
2) Health and Education Paraprofessional: working with children with disabilities to implement behavioral management/learning techniques

I know that neither of these are very Epi-based, but I just want to start being productive during my gap year.

Additionally, I am volunteering at a Hospice Center.

Members don't see this ad.

As neither of these are super epi related, I'd think about the soft skills they offer instead. The Patient Services Rep seems like you'd build organization, administrative, and customer service type skills. The Paraprofessional route seems like you'd build program implementation, teaching, and relationship building skills. Pick the one that would help you grow the most.

If I were in your shoes and had to pick between those two, I'd go for the PSR position and try to connect with the community benefit people at the hospital - if only to get volunteer experience working on a community health needs assessment or similar projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi y'all,

I'm currently about a month into my gap year and have not been able to find any entry level research jobs. I wanted to get your opinion(s) about two opportunities and which one would be better. I am planning on applying to MPH/MS program in Epidemiology/Environmental Health.

1) Patent Services Rep: basically a medical front office sort of job at a local hospital
2) Health and Education Paraprofessional: working with children with disabilities to implement behavioral management/learning techniques

I know that neither of these are very Epi-based, but I just want to start being productive during my gap year.

Additionally, I am volunteering at a Hospice Center.

Number 2 sounds more academic, such as more of a learning experience, behavioral management/education is a good general public health related skill. Being a patient services rep is more general customer service skills. I’d hands down go with #2, but that’s just me, maybe if you have a strong preference you should go with that.

Hospice volunteering is solid, good for nursing school but not so sure about public health. If you are super-focused on Epi/Environmental Health then maybe volunteer at a local state health department, get specific experience in the field, find out if you really like it a lot.

Thank you all for commenting! I actually did find a job working as a biomedical research assistant for the Army.