Gap year job nannying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monty55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how adcoms might view a gap year job nannying? I've been trying for about 2 months to get a research position instead, but have had no luck. Any leads I've had were quickly squashed by the idea that I would be leaving in a year to go to med school.

If it makes any difference, I've already had 3 years off - 2 working in the healthcare field and 1 doing an SMP. I would also continue to volunteer and teach new scribes part time during this year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Ignore the above poster. Adcoms here have said repeatedly that it doesn't matter what you do as a job during your gap year - just be productive. Do some kind of work and keep up your ECs (which it seems like you plan to do).

In summary, you're just fine taking a gap year job as a nanny. It won't be looked down on or put you in a bad position.

Reactions: 1 users
N=1 but i know a girl who did this for two years while figuring her life out, now an M2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually verbally heard the contrary. It does matter what you do if you haven't been accepted. Sitting around doing nothing for a year does not look good.
:eyebrow:

I was not aware that obtaining a job to support yourself was "sitting around doing nothing."

You are correct, doing absolutely nothing does not look good. Employment, in any capacity, is a more than acceptable way to spend your gap year, whether as a barista or a research assistant or a scuba diving instructor.

Reactions: 2 users
Ignore the above poster. Adcoms here have said repeatedly that it doesn't matter what you do as a job during your gap year - just be productive. Do some kind of work and keep up your ECs (which it seems like you plan to do).

In summary, you're just fine taking a gap year job as a nanny. It won't be looked down on or put you in a bad position.
A multi-tasking job where you have to deal with a demanding clientele and an occasional crisis is a plus. "Nanny" qualifies.

But what if you have to leave for two days to interview?

I don't know, but I would imagine it wouldn't look very good when others taking a gap year are doing research or something more relevant than nannying. Also, why would you say that you'd be leaving for medical school in a year? You kind of shot yourself in the foot. You don't even know if you'll get in, right?

I was explicitly asked if I was applying to any post-grad programs. Not about to lie and burn bridges... I explained there was a decent chance I would not get in, but that didn't seem to matter much.

Also I stated in my post that I would continue to volunteer and teach new scribes medical information. I just actually need to pay rent, so that's why I am considering nannying.

I think you know what I meant when I typed that. Doing nothing as in nothing relevant to a medical school application such as volunteering, shadowing, doing research, etc. I'm not knocking nannying, just saying it isn't exactly relevant to a medical school application. I've spoken to a former adcom in person on this subject...
The OP clearly stated they would continue volunteering activities that would contribute to their application. In that light, a job to support themselves that has no clinical relevance is more than acceptable.

Reactions: 1 users