monty55

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I was wondering how adcoms might view a gap year job nannying? I've been trying for about 2 months to get a research position instead, but have had no luck. Any leads I've had were quickly squashed by the idea that I would be leaving in a year to go to med school.

If it makes any difference, I've already had 3 years off - 2 working in the healthcare field and 1 doing an SMP. I would also continue to volunteer and teach new scribes part time during this year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Ignore the above poster. Adcoms here have said repeatedly that it doesn't matter what you do as a job during your gap year - just be productive. Do some kind of work and keep up your ECs (which it seems like you plan to do).

In summary, you're just fine taking a gap year job as a nanny. It won't be looked down on or put you in a bad position.

SuaveCardigans

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
N=1 but i know a girl who did this for two years while figuring her life out, now an M2.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I've actually verbally heard the contrary. It does matter what you do if you haven't been accepted. Sitting around doing nothing for a year does not look good.
:eyebrow:

I was not aware that obtaining a job to support yourself was "sitting around doing nothing."

You are correct, doing absolutely nothing does not look good. Employment, in any capacity, is a more than acceptable way to spend your gap year, whether as a barista or a research assistant or a scuba diving instructor.

Ignore the above poster. Adcoms here have said repeatedly that it doesn't matter what you do as a job during your gap year - just be productive. Do some kind of work and keep up your ECs (which it seems like you plan to do).

In summary, you're just fine taking a gap year job as a nanny. It won't be looked down on or put you in a bad position.
A multi-tasking job where you have to deal with a demanding clientele and an occasional crisis is a plus. "Nanny" qualifies.

But what if you have to leave for two days to interview?

OP
M

monty55

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know, but I would imagine it wouldn't look very good when others taking a gap year are doing research or something more relevant than nannying. Also, why would you say that you'd be leaving for medical school in a year? You kind of shot yourself in the foot. You don't even know if you'll get in, right?
I was explicitly asked if I was applying to any post-grad programs. Not about to lie and burn bridges... I explained there was a decent chance I would not get in, but that didn't seem to matter much.

OP
M

monty55

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Also I stated in my post that I would continue to volunteer and teach new scribes medical information. I just actually need to pay rent, so that's why I am considering nannying.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you know what I meant when I typed that. Doing nothing as in nothing relevant to a medical school application such as volunteering, shadowing, doing research, etc. I'm not knocking nannying, just saying it isn't exactly relevant to a medical school application. I've spoken to a former adcom in person on this subject...
The OP clearly stated they would continue volunteering activities that would contribute to their application. In that light, a job to support themselves that has no clinical relevance is more than acceptable.

blackroses

2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical