1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Gap Year. Job? or What?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MaybeDr, Sep 7, 2014.

1. MaybeDr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haven't seen anything really posted in a while about this.

I'm graduating this year and I honestly have no idea what to do. I've got about 45k in student loans to pay back and I've spent the last 3 years on school entirely. 80-90 hours a week of studying for the past 3 years.
    This is my plan, move to San Francisco as I've always wanted to, get a decent paying job, and live a little for once.
    My question is what kind of job should I look for or that would look best for my application?
    I've got experience doing chemistry research(5 months), clinical research(5 months), night manager in food(6 months), a property management job(1yr 2months), and most recently Genetics instructor for a supplemental course at my university. Additionally I'll probably spend my senior year as an instructor and doing nanomedicine research. I've got a lot more experience than a lot of people graduating with me. Additionally I am a cell biology major with a 4.0 that I hope will hold.

Does it look bad if I take a job purely for the money?
    What is the best possible use of my gap year?

Edit: If there is already and existing thread about best use of your gap year please send it my way.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Retractor

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you absolutely must go to San Fransisco, do it. But keep in mind that a lower cost of living might help you put more money into savings/student loans. And you can work in pharma, biotech, as a research tech/assistant at a lab. It doesn't look bad to get a job just for the money if you also do something to show you're still interested in med school like volunteering or shadowing during your gap year.

4. toastytoastie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm working as a Research Technician in a lab at my undergrad institution, and I love it. But it doesn't pay great--I certainly wouldn't be able to live in SF on my salary.

Note that applications are expensive. Like, really expensive. And then you have to pay for a suit, flights, and potentially hotels. And airport parking fees. It adds up to a big number.

5. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

If you're taking a job for the money, it seems counter-intuitive to move to one of the most expensive cities in the country.

ridethecliche and RedSox143 like this.
  6. RedSox143

2+ Year Member

Living at home between undergrad and medschool depends on your situation but monetarily it's a good decision, at least that's what I keep telling myself to avoid thinking of how ****ty it is living at home, then again I live in a city already, idk man if you can find someone or something to support your move, do it. If not hangout for a while.

7. gtbROX

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Pay rate in SF may be higher with more benefits, but the rent is much higher. I pay really cheap rent right now and work near where I live, but I was having so much trouble paying for primary and secondary applications for this cycle. Also, transportation can get expensive whether you BART or drive.

UCSF has a lot of clinical research coordinator or clinical research type positions, but I have heard from people that it's basically a data entry job. For chemistry, pharmaceutical, and biotech job positions, 5 months of research is usually not enough. The only way it would be enough is you are experienced with most of the techniques/assays/reactions that are listed in the job details. I've interviewed for synthetic chemistry and various biotech type jobs at Genentech and ThermoFisher, and I can tell you that getting a true research type job is extremely hard for people with BS or BA degrees. Even people who did more than a year of research have trouble finding such jobs.

As for what looks good during gap years, I don't know. I'm applying this cycle so we'll see.

8. moisne

2+ Year Member

If you want to go to SF, go. You won't have much freedom after you enter med school and it's uncertain if you will end up in SF (school or job).

Get a job that can at least cover loans and living expenses and then work part time in some volunteering/research/health care field.