gap year job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx001

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still filling out secondaries for the current application cycle. As part of the gap year question, I have said that I am looking for job in the clinical/research sector. Today I got a full time job in the Mental health dept in county. Job description is related to counselling substance abuse people, educating them etc.

But my primary interests are in Research/Clinical sector. I have attended few interviews for these positions but no job offer yet on the hands.

Is it ok to join the counsellor job and leave it if I get a job which I am interested in. What do the medical schools look at. Being busy or if I change job(s) is it looked as inconsistency.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Still filling out secondaries for the current application cycle. As part of the gap year question, I have said that I am looking for job in the clinical/research sector. Today I got a full time job in the Mental health dept in county. Job description is related to counselling substance abuse people, educating them etc. But my primary interests are in Research/Clinical sector. I have attended few interviews for these positions but no job offer yet on the hands. Is it ok to join the counsellor job and leave it if I get a job which I am interested in. What do the medical schools look at. Being busy or if I change job(s) is it looked as inconsistency. thanks
Being a substance use counselor has the potential to be a good gap year job in my opinion. You will learn about the resources available to those in need, and learn how to do motivational interviewing. Counseling and educating this particularly vulnerable patient population is also very much clinical in nature.

Having said that, there is a large need for more substance use counselors but with limited resources. Given the amount of resources needed to properly train someone, I would encourage you to be considerate of their time and money prior to accepting this job. Out of professional courtesy, your supervisor should be informed of the possibility of a very premature departure so they can make appropriate adjustments if need be. Obviously, legally you're allowed to do whatever you want. But, a lot of harm can be done to these life-saving organizations when an employee ghosts shortly after completing training. Consider asking for a deadline extension to allow you to hear back from other opportunities prior to making your decision. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
And for the guys who still continue to work during the interview season, I am wondering how you guys manage it. Agreed for Md interviews are short but still 2 days needed if you live out in the west as most of the schools are east.
I think it depends on your relationship with your supervisor. My coworker just makes up the hours that he's gone for interviews during the other days of the week. It might also be easier to take time off if past employees at the company also worked there during the gap years and attended interviews while there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My job is a 8-5 job with no work on weekends and outside office hours. So not a chance to cover it up by extended working. Secondly I am here for last 4 months only so not much accumulated leave.
Yea, thats why i said it's situation dependent.

Does anyone have advice on asking a supervisor for a day off for an interview? I work in a clinical research setting, but in more of an administrative position so they are not used to employees applying for med school while at this job. I just started a month ago, so I cannot use PTO yet. At the interview I mentioned that my career goals include going to med school, and when they asked when that would be, I said 1 year. In the interview I also asked about the process for taking time off, but looking back I don't know if I made it perfectly clear that within the first few months of working there I would need to take days off for interviews. Has anyone been in this position? My supervisor is easy to talk to, but I don't think she understands the application timeline/knows that I am interviewing now and possibly leaving this job in the summer/early fall if I am accepted. I don't want to lie, but I also don't want it to seem like I am going to be leaving soon/don't care about this job!