Gap year jobs, what do you put on your resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean, I'm applying to these jobs and acting like I'm doing it for life. That's the only way they'll hire you. But some of these jobs just require a high school diploma. I got bushels of medically relevant volunteering.

Should I include it on my resume? Will it hurt me by revealing I got an interest in medicine? I'm applying to medically relevant jobs too but a lot of them aren't. I'm just trying to get the highest salary with the least walking distance from my parents' house. These apps are expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't mention medical school. But remember, if you do not get accepted this cycle, you may be working there for another 2 years, so make sure it is something you would be able to endure for that long

As long as you don't make it obviously clear on your resume/cover letter that you're applying to medical school it shouldn't be a problem. They're hiring you for the skills you gained from your experiences, medical experiences often mean you've learned interpersonal skills and other valuable skills to most jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is just a summer job. I only plan to live with my folks over the summer. I'll make sure I like whatever job I apply for in the fall. I could get a better paying one with my degree but I right now want to just focus on places near my residence.

I didn't put that I'm starting medicak school on my resume but I did state that I was going to go when they said "tell me about yoursekf", intentions are clear right away and when you do get hired you know that they know that youre temp.

Idk worked for me I'm on a temp full time contract at UCSD right now.

I mentioned that I was intending to attend medical school when asked about it during job interviews. It worked out for me, but then again I was just applying to be a CNA, which has a high turn over rate anyway, so term "temporary" wasn't really and issue.

I mentioned medical school in my interview for my current position and applyed specically to per deim/part time positions because i was taking one or two classes still. When I interviewed I spilled all the beans tho, and made it clear what my goals were. I let them know that even tho I hoped to get in this year, that there was a possibility I wouldnt, and I needed a job that would let me do that.

Surprisingly they hired me, and even more surprising I have basically ended up working full time (just with no benefits). So I dont think you need to talk about it before interview, but I do think the interview is the right time to mention it. Make a cover letter for your resume and just summarize what kind of position you are looking for, and what kind of positive traits you bring to the table. I have found that to be very effective.

Letting your job know up front is the very best way to go IMO. It has been so nice to have a whole unit kind of cheering me on, and supporting me, rather than trying to hide my plans till the last minute. Open is better, trust me.