Gap year - Medic/Masters??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mo.s.n22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow future doctors!

GAP YEAR. yet another forum.

I am graduating UG in a few months and would like to do something educational over the year, so my choices are:
- Become a paramedic (44 SH which involves hundreds of hours in clinical experience, ~$10,000)
- Get a masters in bioethics (~30SH which has classes Mon-Thurs, ~$25,000)

(I am currently an EMT-B and thoroughly enjoy it - I have learned so much and it's all I do in my free time. It's been my best inight into the medical world.
On the other hand, many of my peers suggest getting a masters because it's more "fancy" to have on your application + I think bioethics is interesting and applicable to the profession we are entering).

They both start/end around the same time, and I plan on doing other things on the side (working as an EMT-B and research).

It would greatly help to hear your input. Especially if you are in EMS/med student.
;)

Members don't see this ad.

I was an EMT-B for a while and considered pursuing paramedic status but ultimately I decided that it didn't make sense to put in all that time for training and then go to medical school, without a lot if time actually as a medic.
I'd go for the masters if it's something you're really interested in.
Alternatively, you could get a job rather than racking up more debt.

Just getting the medic cert takes a year. I did it because I had time to work after. The course on its own is a great learning experience and clinicals are like shadowing on crack but a masters will give you grades to show for your work where medic class gives you material to talk about in apps/interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you been a basic for? If you're pretty new, or don't have a lot of experience I'd go with the masters for sure.... Overall id just go the masters route. I've been a paramedic since 2010, and while it's been great it's done nothing but sidetrack me from medical school. I should have started med school in 2012, but I'm going to be apply this June!

I appreciate the input! =)
Iv'e had my certification for about a year and half right now and have been volunteering since. I have fairly competitive overall/science GPA's.

@cactus8910 I would have to work as an EMTB because the medic program I am looking into requires you to, lol.. trying to stay away from the debt would be great.

@cidem2065 Won't medical schools not see the grades from my masters program though? I would have submitted my AMCAS application before I even begin the masters program.

@Fedekz Iv'e been an EMTb for like a year and half and it's been my life since (besides school ;) lol) and good luck on applications!! I think being a paramedic is different from the normal pool of applicants and you have tons of hours of direct patient interactions.

@wxman393 I have quite a bit of hours in EMS (definitely greater than 300), but my corps isn't too active so we don't get a lot of calls. I plan on applying to work as an EMT soon, once I graduate (like I told to the other responders). You don't know how obsessed I am with EMS >.< haha, it's bad! lol. I always want to do more when it comes to patients and giving them the best I can offer. By the way, won't you have to take a refresher course while in medic school?

so many choices! I am leaning towards medic though...