1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Gap year - Medic/Masters??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mo.s.n22, Sep 30, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. mo.s.n22

mo.s.n22

Sep 30, 2014
    Hello fellow future doctors!

GAP YEAR. yet another forum.

I am graduating UG in a few months and would like to do something educational over the year, so my choices are:
    - Become a paramedic (44 SH which involves hundreds of hours in clinical experience, ~$10,000)
    - Get a masters in bioethics (~30SH which has classes Mon-Thurs, ~$25,000)

(I am currently an EMT-B and thoroughly enjoy it - I have learned so much and it's all I do in my free time. It's been my best inight into the medical world.
    On the other hand, many of my peers suggest getting a masters because it's more "fancy" to have on your application + I think bioethics is interesting and applicable to the profession we are entering).

They both start/end around the same time, and I plan on doing other things on the side (working as an EMT-B and research).

It would greatly help to hear your input. Especially if you are in EMS/med student.
    ;)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cactus8910

cactus8910

Jul 8, 2014
    MDApps:
    I was an EMT-B for a while and considered pursuing paramedic status but ultimately I decided that it didn't make sense to put in all that time for training and then go to medical school, without a lot if time actually as a medic.
    I'd go for the masters if it's something you're really interested in.
    Alternatively, you could get a job rather than racking up more debt.

4. cidem2065

cidem2065

Aug 15, 2014
    Just getting the medic cert takes a year. I did it because I had time to work after. The course on its own is a great learning experience and clinicals are like shadowing on crack but a masters will give you grades to show for your work where medic class gives you material to talk about in apps/interviews.

5. Fedekz

Fedekz 7+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2008
    hSDN Alumni
    How long have you been a basic for? If you're pretty new, or don't have a lot of experience I'd go with the masters for sure.... Overall id just go the masters route. I've been a paramedic since 2010, and while it's been great it's done nothing but sidetrack me from medical school. I should have started med school in 2012, but I'm going to be apply this June!

6. mo.s.n22

mo.s.n22

Sep 30, 2014
    I appreciate the input! =)
    Iv'e had my certification for about a year and half right now and have been volunteering since. I have fairly competitive overall/science GPA's.

7. mo.s.n22

mo.s.n22

Sep 30, 2014
    @cactus8910 I would have to work as an EMTB because the medic program I am looking into requires you to, lol.. trying to stay away from the debt would be great.

@cidem2065 Won't medical schools not see the grades from my masters program though? I would have submitted my AMCAS application before I even begin the masters program.

@Fedekz Iv'e been an EMTb for like a year and half and it's been my life since (besides school ;) lol) and good luck on applications!! I think being a paramedic is different from the normal pool of applicants and you have tons of hours of direct patient interactions.

@wxman393 I have quite a bit of hours in EMS (definitely greater than 300), but my corps isn't too active so we don't get a lot of calls. I plan on applying to work as an EMT soon, once I graduate (like I told to the other responders). You don't know how obsessed I am with EMS >.< haha, it's bad! lol. I always want to do more when it comes to patients and giving them the best I can offer. By the way, won't you have to take a refresher course while in medic school?

so many choices! I am leaning towards medic though...